PCIIIUSB or Factory Pro Tune? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
View Poll Results: How would you spend your money?
Factory Pro Tune 7 10.14%
PCIII with downloaded map 14 20.29%
PCIII with custom map 48 69.57%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

PCIIIUSB or Factory Pro Tune?

Hey everyone,

One of the newbs to the forum with a question:

Obviously, the bike is bloody fast out of the box. I am putting a slip-on on mine soon, but I don't want to leave it at that. The options available to me are:

1) Have Factory Pro do the BMC filter, their v-stacks, and tune the ECU to match with the new pipe,

or

2) Throw a PC on there with a downloaded map and call it a day.

Is the PCIII worth the time/money? Or is it negligible? Should I just fork out the difference and have it "done right?"

or...

3) One more option might be to have another shop do a custom map for the PCIII, but I haven't priced that out.

What say you?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

So where are you really from? Using bloody in a sentence here in the U.S. is not common at all. But in England and Australia it is.

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Anyways I got the PCIIIUSB and got Ivans map for his Tre and the mods I have and it made a difference. Still got to custom tune it but I would go with the PCIIIUSB.

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 12:59 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've heard rumors that Factory Pro could reprogram the stock ECU. Is that right or are you talking about the kit ECU? If they can it would depend on how much it costs. From what you said, it sounds like it is more expensive than tuning a PC. If that is so, get a custom map on the PC. For the limited mods you are doing, the extra money for tuning the ECU wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I'm a native Bay Area resident. I just like throwing in some not-so-common terms on occasion.

Factory Pro reworks the stock ECU. I had them do my Mille R (sadly, now for sale) and I was very pleased.

I looked into the pricing a little more. As it turns out, the pricing dictates that I pop for the FP tune. I'd be more satisfied with the work gone into it, than I would be the money saved otherwise. I'll be scheduling it shortly. Factory Pro needs a 3-4 day down time for it, given the size of the operation and the amount of traffic they receive.

Still interested in what you all think though.

Thanks!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Just as an FYI- I have their stacks and a custom map (PCIII). I haven't seen anything to make me feel the stacks were worth the money. Another bud did the same, with simular results (different pipe, all other mods the same w/custom map) ...results may vary...

something else you ant to consider- if you ever sell the bike, you'll need to leave all performance mods in place, as it may run like crap with the ECU reprogrammed and the mods removed. With a PCIII, you can return to completely stock easily.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #7 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
Just as an FYI- I have their stacks and a custom map (PCIII). I haven't seen anything to make me feel the stacks were worth the money. Another bud did the same, with simular results (different pipe, all other mods the same w/custom map) ...results may vary...
I didn't feel a difference with the FP v-stacks.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Posting Frequency

One of the things to consider is the ability to tweak the FI with the PC. Any subsequent mods would require a trip to FP to make any adjustments. PCIII & Custom map would be my choice...and it was:]
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Zero
One of the things to consider is the ability to tweak the FI with the PC. Any subsequent mods would require a trip to FP to make any adjustments. PCIII & Custom map would be my choice...and it was:]
+1 It is really the best reason to go with a PCIII. And yes, the stacks seem to make no difference at all. I think a big problem with the ZX-10r is the smallish airbox. Compared to my '05 R1, it is small. When I put Graves velocity stacks on the R1, it was a great mid-range punch modification. But with the 10, I think the height of the airbox is too low to get the velocity up as it curves around the stacks. And one other thing, the stock stacks for cylinders #2,3 are already elevated in comparison to #1,4. Usually when you upgrade stacks it is because #2,3 are shorty's like #1,4. But this not the case with Kawi, so it seems to be a waste of money. Any gains seem to be marginal and unnoticeable at best.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Raul @ FP was trying to seel me on his V-stacks pretty hard. I still may do the FP Tune, despite your good points, because I would have to take it to another dyno shop to re-tune no matter what--Factory Pro or not. Plus, I don't even intend on wanting to do anything else to the bike, accept perhaps to regear it down the road. So once it is done, it is done.

I may not get FP to tune the bike for me (well) without the stacks, because the way they worded it, they can only do a good job with the stacks. (Like I said, they were selling me hard on them). I'll talk to them on Monday and see what they can do, if I just went with the filter, my Yosh, and a tune.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in