PCIII Map Adjustment. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

PCIII Map Adjustment.

Can I hook ip the lap top and change the map? My idle needs some adjusting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Can't you adjust idle at the idle screw?.........And yes you can hook a laptop to your PCIII, or you can pull it into your living room and connect to your PC ;P

Drive it like ya stole it --- keep the rubber side down !
post #3 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Like stated above, look at your manual and adjust the idle adjustment screw/knob.

You have alot of research to do before you should connect a PC to a Power Commander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

use your laptop to see the idle speed as its digital its easy'er to read,you can alter the fueling at 0% colum at say 1000rpm/1250rpm by by putting say -15 to take fuel away and +5 to add fuel,but it will change your air/fuel ratio so you really need some meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio...(or you might run rich/lean).once you get the correct air/fuel ratio at idle(around 1100 =/-50rpm)i got mine running 14.5-15.0 by putting -20 in the 0%throttle colum next to 1000rpm and -18 next to the 1250rpm and idleing at 1100rpm..my fuelling boxes all read 0 in the 0% colum and it was way to rich at idle (11.8!!)should be between say 14.5/15.5 at idle..if you have a meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio you can't go wrong...
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakers10r View Post
use your laptop to see the idle speed as its digital its easy'er to read,you can alter the fueling at 0% colum at say 1000rpm/1250rpm by by putting say -15 to take fuel away and +5 to add fuel,but it will change your air/fuel ratio so you really need some meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio...(or you might run rich/lean).once you get the correct air/fuel ratio at idle(around 1100 =/-50rpm)i got mine running 14.5-15.0 by putting -20 in the 0%throttle colum next to 1000rpm and -18 next to the 1250rpm and idleing at 1100rpm..my fuelling boxes all read 0 in the 0% colum and it was way to rich at idle (11.8!!)should be between say 14.5/15.5 at idle..if you have a meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio you can't go wrong...
Thanks
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
use your laptop to see the idle speed as its digital its easy'er to read,you can alter the fueling at 0% colum at say 1000rpm/1250rpm by by putting say -15 to take fuel away and +5 to add fuel,but it will change your air/fuel ratio so you really need some meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio...(or you might run rich/lean).once you get the correct air/fuel ratio at idle(around 1100 =/-50rpm)i got mine running 14.5-15.0 by putting -20 in the 0%throttle colum next to 1000rpm and -18 next to the 1250rpm and idleing at 1100rpm..my fuelling boxes all read 0 in the 0% colum and it was way to rich at idle (11.8!!)should be between say 14.5/15.5 at idle.. if you have a meens of seeing real time air/fuel ratio you can't go wrong...
Reading the RPM's is with the software is better. Also being albe to check your 0% and 100% throttle positions is sometimes necessary (could be the problem here).

-15 in the and +5 are just guesses. Exaust, filter, altitude, what are the current values, etc.? As you stated, you really need to see your a/f ratio. Guessing is not good.

No disrespect to the OP, but from reading the original question, I think he should try the idle screw.

If the map isn't any good at idle, it was probably made for a completely different setup.

My advice (if the idle screw doesn't help) would be to post your mods. and ask if anyone has a good map that they would send you. Don't mess with the values until you learn a little more about tuning. Just my opinion. i would hate to see you cause any damage.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMavis View Post
Just food for thought on something I did once. Someone might can expound on this idea some.

I use an old "dumpster diver" laptop thrown out by my job in late 1999. It originally had Windows 95. I took it home and later added Windows 98, PC software, and deleted almost everything off of it, and use it ONLY for PC use.

I took a piece of foam rubber and put it across my gas tank once, put the laptop on the foam, used duct tape to secure it, and then was able to ride my bike while watching the laptop. That was only for a few rides till I had things where I wanted them.

I guess it looked funny to people as they passed me on the highway, especially the interstate, thinking I was surfing the web or something.

Only recommended for educated adjustments IMO.

I used to use masking tape and mark my throttle positions the best i could. Take mental notes of the RPM's and try to tune from there. Took forever. After sniffing the bike on a dyno, I was running a safe a/f ratio, but not ideal.

I decided to get a custom tune. After 50 - 60 dyno pulls, my tank was empty and my Akra. was several different shades of blue and purple! Ran good though. I was very happy to see the AutoTune features come out.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Good info fro all. I have a custom map I got from someone with same set up and at same sea level etc. Probem is I took the pipe and shortened it dramaticall from highmount style to custom shorty. The pipe is a Boz miora and has no filler, so no back pressure to speak of. It idled great when it was a longer system but not now. I have messed with idle but speeding idle doesn't solve. If I barely hold throttle giving minute fuel it idles good which is why I thought tuning values on PC would assist.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN10 View Post
Reading the RPM's is with the software is better. Also being albe to check your 0% and 100% throttle positions is sometimes necessary (could be the problem here).

-15 in the and +5 are just guesses. Exaust, filter, altitude, what are the current values, etc.? As you stated, you really need to see your a/f ratio. Guessing is not good.

No disrespect to the OP, but from reading the original question, I think he should try the idle screw.

If the map isn't any good at idle, it was probably made for a completely different setup.

My advice (if the idle screw doesn't help) would be to post your mods. and ask if anyone has a good map that they would send you. Don't mess with the values until you learn a little more about tuning. Just my opinion. i would hate to see you cause any damage.
the -15 and +5 were just an example!!to show -/+ values....how many tuner's do you know that change any box values in the 0% throttle colum!!they did'nt on mine and it was running stupid rich at idle(fully warmed up it was 11.7/12.3!) i have fitted a wideband lambda kit now and have witten myself a complete new map,so i get 14.0/14.5 on steddy throttle-crusing to save gas,and 12.8/13.5 hard on the gas..had it checked at a differant tuner and he was impressed i made such a good map from home.ps and to get my bike idleing at 1150rpm and running 14.7 air/fuel ratio i had to put -18 in the 1000rpm box in 0%colum,and -18 in the 1250 box in the 0% colum..and that is a fact!!!!it runs sweet as a nut..(2nd gen running full akro,bmc filter,block off plates,tre,powercommander ect,ect.)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
the -15 and +5 were just an example!!to show -/+ values....how many tuner's do you know that change any box values in the 0% throttle colum!!they did'nt on mine and it was running stupid rich at idle(fully warmed up it was 11.7/12.3!) i have fitted a wideband lambda kit now and have witten myself a complete new map,so i get 14.0/14.5 on steddy throttle-crusing to save gas,and 12.8/13.5 hard on the gas..had it checked at a differant tuner and he was impressed i made such a good map from home.ps and to get my bike idleing at 1150rpm and running 14.7 air/fuel ratio i had to put -18 in the 1000rpm box in 0%colum,and -18 in the 1250 box in the 0% colum..and that is a fact!!!!it runs sweet as a nut..(2nd gen running full akro,bmc filter,block off plates,tre,powercommander ect,ect.)
I'm familiar with your wideband kit. I seen the thread you started on it. You have the tools and ability (knowledge) to make educated adjustments.

The original post asking if the power commander could be hooked up to a laptop, just threw me off. "Most" owners that have to ask that, probably shouldn't adjust values. IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in