Operating Temperatures - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Operating Temperatures

By any chance does anyone know's the operating temperature of the 10R. I live in the tropics in Singapore and my average temp is about 80 to 90 Deg Celcius. In stop go traffic it can go as high up as 100 Deg C.

The reason I'm asking is that, I'm thinking of getting rid of the thermostat. Appreciate all of your comments.

Sincerely,

David Isaac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I wouldn't get rid of the thermostat.
I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my radiator. The temp doesn't climb as fast now.
post #3 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 09:33 AM

Posting Frequency

to remove the thermostat completely would not let the motor run at utmost operating temperature.....the motor need to heat up in order for certain components to go into closed loop or such....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Isaac
By any chance does anyone know's the operating temperature of the 10R. I live in the tropics in Singapore and my average temp is about 80 to 90 Deg Celcius. In stop go traffic it can go as high up as 100 Deg C.
david - similar concerns / operating temps in hong kong, especially in traffic, although now the weather has cooooled downa bit, it is not as bad asduring July / August. I am still amazed how quickly the bike goes from 80 to 100 C once I hit traffic. Must try some of that water wetter
post #5 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I wouldn't get rid of the thermostat.
I put a half bottle of Water Wetter in my radiator. The temp doesn't climb as fast now.
I tried a 1/2 bottle of milk but no help other than foaming.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #6 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Posting Frequency

Better keep an eye on that, it might curdle.
post #7 of 33 Old 10-22-2004, 09:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Also you don't want to remove the thermostat because the cooling system does need a certain amount of restriction to adequately allow proper thermodynamic heat transfer between the engine components and the coolant. If the coolant were to flow all the time, you won't get proper transfer of heat from the engine and will develop hot spots in certain areas of the engine; which for aluminum can be very bad. Tricks that some modders do on cars is to use a lower temp thermostat. It allows the coolant to run cooler but not so that there is fast continuous flow of coolant.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I live in Singapore too and I think heat is one of the 10R's main weak points over here. Thanks to the high compression (12.7:1) engine we have, temperature increment is an absolute horror in this hot and humid climate.

It's not just us though, the local 04 R1s also suffer from the same problem. (They are on 12.4:1 compression) I have Muzzy's aluminium fan and water wetter installed but that still doesn't really help much as temps will still continue to climb towards 108 degrees in hot and slow traffic.

I've been trying to source for a larger capacity race radiator much like what the CBR1000RR uses for the 10R in hopes of solving this heat problem. Does anyone have a clue as to where I might get one?
post #9 of 33 Old 10-23-2004, 04:28 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Put in some engine ice and your temps will go down 5 to 10 degs cel. My friend is using it in his CBR1000rr and his temps actually dropped almost 18 degs far. He checked it a low speeds and while stopped idling.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-23-2004, 05:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
I use deg F, not C, but 108C= 226F. I've seen my bike around 104-106C in the summer at lights(ambient was about 41C) but as soon as I'm moving again she comes down to 82-88C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in