Gen 3: 2008-2010 One plug seems to be sparking late or am I just expecting a perfect running bike - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Exclamation One plug seems to be sparking late or am I just expecting a perfect running bike

Recently bought a gen 3, I have a thread about how at low RPMS it KINDA sounds like a V-twin (have now spoken to 2 members that mentioned their bikes sounds like a V also) Anywho, I did a plug change, changed the oil. Bike runs better than before but still sounds like a V at low rpms.

So I did the "spray your headers at running temp" It seems like the one to the far left below the clutch lever side took a second for the water to steam off. So I swapped coils with the known working ones...same thing, swapped plugs...same thing.

I'm thinking it might be a dirty injector? What else can it be? I'm going to run some Sea Foam or Chevron with Techron through it and see if it helps until I get a better diagnosis.

Keep in mind, the bike feels fine though while riding, not sluggish or anything, pulls like a freight train.

If anyone has a minute to go start their bike and spray their headers once it's at running temp, could you confirm that all the pipes are steaming off the water instantly or does one of them take a sec longer to steam off.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Also, the bike had just been in for service for a clutch replacemtn and the manager said the bike feels great and only recommended that it won't hurt to get the valves checked soon. No mention of any concern of the performance.

Is it possible the throttle bodies are out of sync?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think I'm going to pull the PC3 and see if that could be the culprit.

Forgot to mention the miods:
PC3 custom map
xtre
block off plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My bike does the same exact thing. It's only at idle though that it sounds like a v-twin. If I give it a little throttle and raise the revs it sounds normal. I'm thinking it just might be the high cam lobes which gives it that v-twin sound.
But the bike runs fine for me.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ya these bikes have very high duration cams in them. Only way it'll keep making power in the high rpms. Also why it's "loping" at idle @1000 rpms.

08' ZX10R
post #6 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys....now it's time to go race!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to tasos
Remove the pc3 and check. I assume you have no exhaust of any kind?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

tb's

syncing tb's is worthwhile, and sounds like your problem. they are syncd mechanically in pairs, 1-2, 3-4, could easily produce exactly what u are describing, one side offcould easily produce a 2 cyl. ex. note idling. although it will go away or diminish off idle as described, it will effect the smoothness of the engine throughout the powerband, especially at lower road speed openings. i would get it done. enjoy your new ride.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasos View Post
Remove the pc3 and check. I assume you have no exhaust of any kind?
LOR exhaust. I did pull the PC and ran it, felt the same as when the PC was connected.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
syncing tb's is worthwhile, and sounds like your problem. they are syncd mechanically in pairs, 1-2, 3-4, could easily produce exactly what u are describing, one side offcould easily produce a 2 cyl. ex. note idling. although it will go away or diminish off idle as described, it will effect the smoothness of the engine throughout the powerband, especially at lower road speed openings. i would get it done. enjoy your new ride.
I'm also thinking it is something fuel related because although it runs fine, I get TONS of backfire on decel after WOT...but then again, I hear it's quite common...but I don't have any popping on my gen 1 and it doesn't even have block off plates like my gen 3. So fuel is igniting in the headers somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in