Onboard camera's - What res/fps? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Onboard camera's - What res/fps?

Been doing a lot of searching online and have a huge variance of answers and recommendations so thought it would be cool to get you guys opinions on it

I have a Drift HD170 Stealth, very similar to the Gopro's settings and options.

Generally choices are:
1080p @ 30 fps - 127 degree angle
720p @ 60 fps - 170 degree wide angle
720p @ 60fps - 170 degree wide

Or other combos all available at 16:9 widescreen and down to 25fps.

So what are your opinions, thoughts, recommendations?

2004 ZX10R Black:'09 ZX6R Nissin Callipers, '10 ZX6R MC, HEL Braided Lines, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, '06 ZX10R Rear Calliper, R&G Crash Bungs (Forks, Rear Bobbins, Bar Ends, Frame Sliders), R&G Tail Tidy, K&N Air Filter, Cut-down Akrapovic Slip On, Acumen Digital Gear Indicator, Double Bubble Screen, Autocom Intercom

Oh, and: 30 Snakes, 15 Lizards, 2 Tarantulas, 5 Leaf Insects, a Guinea Pig, a Rabbit, about 20 mice and 2 Sphinx Cats! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
For fast action stuff, you want the higher frame rates to keep things from blurring out. The overall resolution isn't as important to me as the frame rate. If you're planning on doing any editing and production stuff, 60fps is where you wanna be.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Are you going to use your camera in different modes, or are you looking for another camera?

Wide angle lens will create distortions, which can add some "dramatic" effect: "objects in video are slower than they appear". Personally, I don't like it.

High fps will create larger files and will require an SD card that can store data fast enough, but you get a more fluid image (the "soap opera effect"), compared with 24fps used in cinema.

I just got a GoPro Hero 2 for use on track, and it has 120fps which I look forward to trying out.

I'd suggest getting some video editing software (if you don't have any yet). You can always do some post processing after the filming, if you want to post your videos somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I love the camera, its brilliant, its just knowing which setting option is best/optimal etc.

I guess really I just need to do a couple of test runs to see what I personally prefer but its nice to hear other peoples remarks and takes on things

2004 ZX10R Black:'09 ZX6R Nissin Callipers, '10 ZX6R MC, HEL Braided Lines, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, '06 ZX10R Rear Calliper, R&G Crash Bungs (Forks, Rear Bobbins, Bar Ends, Frame Sliders), R&G Tail Tidy, K&N Air Filter, Cut-down Akrapovic Slip On, Acumen Digital Gear Indicator, Double Bubble Screen, Autocom Intercom

Oh, and: 30 Snakes, 15 Lizards, 2 Tarantulas, 5 Leaf Insects, a Guinea Pig, a Rabbit, about 20 mice and 2 Sphinx Cats! :D
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

I have a go pro and i keep at 720 because i can still use 60fps.

Quality still amazing, even on a tv.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
I have a go pro and i keep at 720 because i can still use 60fps.

Quality still amazing, even on a tv.
So that's at the 170 degree wide angle?

post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownan View Post
So that's at the 170 degree wide angle?
The wide angle lens doesn't have anything to do with the resolution. The 720p means that the image will be 1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels high (one of the High Definition standards) with a progressive scan (that's what the 'p' means. An 'i' means interlaced). That resolution will be the same whether it's a wide-angle lens or standard. The difference will be that at 170 degrees, you'll see a lot more in the shot, it will just be more distorted and 'fishbowled' at the edges. That resolution will look great on a TV with or without the wide viewing angle.

The other HD standard is the 1080 resolution, or 1920x1080 pixels. A bit higher pixel density, but the 30 frames per second can lead to blurring on fast motion images. Especially if you want to do an slow-mo editing. 1080i or 1080p can only support 30fps right now, while the slightly lower 720p can support upto 60fps. For comparison, standard definition is 640x480 (referred to as 480i. And it's actually 525 vertical scans, but the extra resolution isn't drawn on the screen, it's for the timing reasons.)

Depending on the TV you're playing them on, the native resolution will likely be closer to the 1280x720 as opposed to the 1920x1080. Both standards are supported these days, but the electronics usually up and down scale the image, clip the image slightly, or place black bars to frame the image properly and they try to render the image at the native resolution of the screen.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
The wide angle lens doesn't have anything to do with the resolution.
No, I know, the problem is that you can only shoot 170 degree wide angle in 720p, the 1080p shoots in 127 degree so its another parameter to consider.

So the options are:
1080p @ 30fps @ 127 degrees
720p @ 60fps @ 170 degrees

I think! Now I'm confusing myself!

post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownan View Post
No, I know, the problem is that you can only shoot 170 degree wide angle in 720p, the 1080p shoots in 127 degree so its another parameter to consider.

So the options are:
1080p @ 30fps @ 127 degrees
720p @ 60fps @ 170 degrees

I think! Now I'm confusing myself!
Yeah, that's weird that the lens angle is selective with the settings. 170 degrees is pretty wide, so there will likely be quite a bit of distortion on the edges. But you'll be able to see a lot around the camera.

Guess you need to figure out what you're planning to do with the footage. If you're going to snazz it up and produce some videos that are decent quality, then stick to 720 @ 60hz. If you're going to shoot and post to YouBoob right away without much fuss, then the 1080 might be a better bet.

#WordCrimes

post #10 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

You should just go for a ride change the setting mid ride and see what you prefer.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in