Oil pressure light - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Oil pressure light

Wondered if anyone had problem with oil pressure light coming on at idle/tickover when engine temp gets high ? It only flashes on, usually when engine temp is around 95 deg, go's out as soon as revs increase or temp drops. Idle speed is 1050 RPM, if i set it at 1000 RPM light is on full time once 95 deg reached. Handbook says this may happen and is ok , dealer also thinks its no big deal ! Seems odd on such a new and low milage (2150 miles ) engine. Thought it may be bad filter or wrong grade oil ( both dealer done at 500 miles ) oil level is spot on and never drops. Its not even summer here yet, 36,000 mile gsxr 11 slingshot and 220,000 mile 528 i BMW have no such problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Havent had that, but sometimes you can get an oil pressure light switch that doesnt function at its correct figures , I would change the pressure switch out and see if it goes away.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks, have been to dealer today (am I the only one who comes away from dealers thinking i've been B .S .ed ? ) They never seen it on zx10 but say R 1 Yam does it, They saying its not a normal type of pressure switch ( ie were oil pressure holds switch open or closed ) but just relies on oil splash ??? Sounds unlikely to me but maybe someone else knows better ? .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Maybe , so long as it gets wet it reads,(bit like some water temp sensors).

Dunno ??
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

End of the day its still got a year and a half warranty left ! will probably ask supplying dealer to change switch at 4k service. thanks for help.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Posting Frequency

Have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicog View Post
Wondered if anyone had problem with oil pressure light coming on at idle/tickover when engine temp gets high ? It only flashes on, usually when engine temp is around 95 deg, go's out as soon as revs increase or temp drops. Idle speed is 1050 RPM, if i set it at 1000 RPM light is on full time once 95 deg reached. Handbook says this may happen and is ok , dealer also thinks its no big deal ! Seems odd on such a new and low milage (2150 miles ) engine. Thought it may be bad filter or wrong grade oil ( both dealer done at 500 miles ) oil level is spot on and never drops. Its not even summer here yet, 36,000 mile gsxr 11 slingshot and 220,000 mile 528 i BMW have no such problems.
Hi there neighbor accros the north sea.
Got the same problem, and i have even another one.
Sometimes when i turn on the ignitionswitch the oil pressure light even doesn`t go on.
The problem is very rare, only on a german zx10r forum was another guy with the same problem.
On which page in the handbook is told that it may happen.
Could you scan it and post it.
Maybe the dutch manual is different.
Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The R1 has a low oil sensor, and I think it also has a low oil pressure switch, not sure though. In any case, yes, what you're seeing is normal. When the oil is really hot, and the motor is idling very slow, oil pressure will drop below 15 PSI. Its normal to kawi (old and new), GSXR, and R1.

Turn the idle up a bit and it should go away. I don't know what the factory idle speed is, but 1050 seems a bit low.

What weight oil are you running?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Yamaha engines have an oil level switch and no oil pressure switch ...

Although I realize that the shop manual says it's acceptable for the oil pressure warning to be on at idle, I don't buy it. With mine, the oil pressure lamp goes out during the half second of cranking before the engine starts. If the oil pressure warning is on at idle, it may be acceptable per the shop manual, but I still say something's not right.

I agree that your idle speed is set too low. It's better for the engine if it's a bit higher. Try 1200 - 1300 or thereabouts.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I've generally heard that engine builders like about 10 PSI per 1K RPM, so, if the switch is set to 15 psi (an assumption, but based on aftermarket switches I've seen), and you're at 1050, then 10 PSI would be acceptable, and would set the low oil pressure switch. I know it doesn't give a warm and fuzzy feeling when that light turns on, regardless of RPM, but the motor (and oil pump rotor) just aren't turning much at idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in