Oil Pressure glitch after tipover - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Oil Pressure glitch after tipover

I've had this 04 ZX-10R for about a month now. It had 1200 miles on it when I got it, and 3100 on it now, so it's still pretty new.
Somehow, it fell over in my driveway (in gear, facing uphill) and snapped a footpeg and put a couple of scratches on it. It fell over on it's left side. The damage to the plastics was VERY minimal considering I hadn't put frame sliders on it yet. We won't even get into how frustrating that was.
But I got my replacement clutch lever and bar ends in today and installed them, then went to start the bike to adjust the clutch lever (first time started since before the tipover) and the oil pressure light didn't go out. I killed the bike after about 10 seconds, waited a few minutes, tried it again. Let it run about 10 seconds and the light didn't go out. I shut it off.
Pulled out my manual and started troubleshooting, thought maybe I had pinched a sensor wire or something. Put the bike in neutral and started it while watching the oil level sightglass...which appeared almost completely full.. when I started the bike for the third time I saw the oil level dip a little so I thought " Well, the oil pump is turning..." but the light didn't go out, so I killed the bike again after 10-15 seconds.
I wheeled the bike inside where I could have some more light, and started slamming beers. I took the lower fairing off in preparation to to pull the oil pan. I looked at my sight glass again and it was only about half full. I cranked the bike again and the oil light went off immediately and I took a deep breath and sat down and let it run.

Somebody explain to me what happened. How can the oil shift so badly from a tipover that it causes pressure problems on startup a WEEK later. From what I know about engines, I think I didn't do any damage by running it for about 30 seconds total with no (low) oil pressure at idle. I never revved it at all. Somebody please comfort me. The problem seems to have corrected itself. Anybody with a similar experience or input of any kind would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe your oil presure switch just went nuts for awhile.Don't see how you would have done any major damage though.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I went ahead and changed the oil, mainly to ensure it has full synthetic now. I hadn't changed it since I've owned the bike. Got it all together and fired it up, the light went out after about 2 seconds as expected. I took the bike on a shakedown run to see if there are any other problems from the tipover. Everything seems to be working well. That front cowl rattle seems a little worse.....and it's hard to ride with half a footpeg (but the new ones are on the way).
That oil pressure light deal really freaked me out.
Not cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Well, during tipover it allows air into the oil pickup tube, thus causing the oil pump to completely drian. ( lose it prime) So a week later , when you crank it up it had to reprime itself and by cranking it , shutting down, cranking, shutting down; you basically got lucky and it finally picked up the oil and reprimed itself. Just my thoughts as to why ths occurred.

Tread
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2006, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I'll buy that. Seeing as how my oil level was a bit high, then normal later.

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Accountant in training.

Posting Frequency

Sorry to hear about your tip over Casey. Hopefully you can buff out the little scratches... You might want to look into some touch up paint.

1900 miles in a month. Sounds like you are enjoying the 10.

How goes the wheelies?

Chris
post #7 of 7 Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Wheelies...
I'm going to get ripped for this, but I'm really struggling with them. They are inconsistent at best.

I think I am being shy of the throttle, I don't know. I can ride up to the bottom of the power band in first and whack it open to the stop and the bike just launches... the front gets light, but no wheelie. I wrap it to 8500, chop it, then slap it back on and it's up (only in first gear) but it comes up kind of fast, and I haven't been able to find the balance point yet because of that. It will startle me and I end up rolling out way to early because it feels like it is rising WAY too fast after I get over the 'hump'. I have clutched one up in second before (after about 5 consecutive attempts) and when I set it down I was doing over 120, which I am not comfortable with. On my Speed Triple I would always clutch it up in first leaving a stop, around 20-40 mph. I would like to be able to just be cruising around 55-65 mph and be able to bring it up with either the gas or clutch...but I haven't figured it out. It seems to only want to come up for me in first gear, just like my last bike, which had about 80 less horsepower.
I'm going to gear it down and see if I can slow my wheelies down, and go from there.
I'm sure it's my lack of technique, not the bike. I'll figure it out.

My friend (who is a wheelie king) just rode it and said he clutched up a sit down in THIRD and he brought it right up to the balance point, no problem. He makes me sick.

Casey

Last edited by casey; 09-09-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in