Oil Light dimly light in rain storm?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Oil Light dimly light in rain storm??

Hello all,
The other day after fitting my Level one Racing exhaust, I was riding my 05 10R with a buddy (6000Km on clock- that's 3700 miles to most of you).
I hammered on it a few times throughout the day seeing the ole' 299km/hr on the speedo but no real serious abuse.

On the way home I got stuck in the rain. After about 30 minutes in the rain, I noticed the oil light came on. But it was not bright, Just dimly light. (unlike the bright way it lights up to 'test' when you first turn the key)

Pulled over and oil level was fine. (amsoil Motorcycle 10/40 changed 600 miles ago).

Starting limping it home, and Light went out 2 minutes later. (again it wasn't on as bright as when you first turn the key, it was like 'half' lit.)

Motor ran as always, no knocks, pings, ticks, etc.

Someone please tell me that the oil light is an either 'on' or 'off' light and that it doesn't come on dimly if there is a problem.
I hope that it was just some moisture getting into a connection somewhere causing the light to get some power to it.

I do wheelie the bike alot. I mean like some are 2 miles at a time, But I don't think this starves the engine of oil, does it? My gsxr1000, cbr 929, both survived 20 000 K worth of long wheelies, so I doubt this would affect the zx10?

Any re assuring thoughts would be appreciated. I guess Non re- assuring thoughts would be appreciated as well, I just won't be as happy to hear them. heheh

Thanks in advance for any insight into this situation.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I hope that it was just some moisture getting into a connection somewhere causing the light to get some power to it.
thats exactly what it is and has given other members a headache as well so nothing to fear. Try a bit of dielectric grease on the connection and it should be solved.

BD

post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thanks, that is exactly the type of re assurance I wanted to here!!

I appreciate it.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I do wheelie the bike alot. I mean like some are 2 miles at a time, But I don't think this starves the engine of oil, does it? My gsxr1000, cbr 929, both survived 20K worth of long wheelies, so I doubt this would affect the zx10?
it has the potential to yes. given the scenerio all bikes subjected to lenghtly wheelies are suceptable to oil starvation IMO but documenting it is an entirely diff deal.

BD

post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

"given the scenerio all bikes subjected to lenghtly wheelies are suceptable to oil starvation "

I agree. But just to share some experience, I witnessed my wheelie Mentor Ride a cbr 929 and then a 954 for 20 mile wheelies almost everyday. The bike literally had more mile on the back wheel than on 2. Witnessing this gave me confidence that the honda's were picking up oil while up on one. We repeatively bounced those things off the rev limiter doing top speed runs for miles and miles.
Same really for our Gsxr 1000's when we made the switch to Suzuki.
Those two brands got SERIOUSLY ABUSED by us. (we were much younger then). My zx10 won't get the same abuse for two reasons, I'm older now and my son was just born, and the po po just bought a chopper and a fixed wing aircraft
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to javeci01
Same thing happened to me with the oil light. Slowly went off in about 5 minutes of riding. Was scared that it was low pressure but am glad to hear it was just moisture from the rain. Thanks!

04 Pearl Blazing Orange ZX-10R
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtraxjay View Post
"given the scenerio all bikes subjected to lenghtly wheelies are suceptable to oil starvation "

I agree. But just to share some experience, I witnessed my wheelie Mentor Ride a cbr 929 and then a 954 for 20 mile wheelies almost everyday. The bike literally had more mile on the back wheel than on 2. Witnessing this gave me confidence that the honda's were picking up oil while up on one. We repeatively bounced those things off the rev limiter doing top speed runs for miles and miles.
That is not always the case.

Friend of mine reports the following. He was out on a ride where there was some guy on a 2004-or-later R1, who popped it up on the back wheel and rode like that for several kilometers. Then smoke started coming out of the exhaust. Then the smoke started getting heavier. Then the engine seized ... causing the bike to slam down out of the wheelie without warning to the rider. Then the bike went cartwheeling down the motorway ... Total loss!

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Great post
Good information.
Thanks

Rubber Side Down!!!
"Read The Signs"

God gave Rock'N Rolll to ya, and Kawasaki too!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

sent mi bike for washing many times over at car wash.they used pressured water gun to clean her up.after tat,the dim light wud appear.will be normal after it warm up.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in