Oil level at startup - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
keithk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elkhart Indiana
Posts: 4,480
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
      
Oil level at startup

When I first started my bike today the oil level went down from the top line until it was almost not visable in the sightglass. Then I came in got my gear on and went back out and leaned the bjke over watched the oil level and started the bjke up and it slowly went down but not as far and I went for a short ride and the motor was up to temp 178 -180 degrees and I watched the oil level again and it only dropped from full to the lower line thats about half way on the sight glass? The oil light dosent come on but it just dosent seem right to me? How far does your oil level go down and what do you guys think, I hate to have to pull the pan!
keithk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
GP Rider
 
shojivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,254
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
    
If I remember correctly, the oil level should be halfway between upper and lower sight glass marker lines WHEN HELD VERTICALLY WITH COOL oil; not hot.

When the bike starts, of course the oil level will drop, as the oil is redistributed from within the pan to circulating around the engine as it does normally.

When shut off after reaching hot/running temps, it'll take a few minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan. Once back to the pan, the hot oil level will show higher than cool oil levels since heat expands the oil; increases the volume.. Don't sweat it..
shojivic is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
keithk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elkhart Indiana
Posts: 4,480
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
      
Its at the full line when held up and then I start it while watching the oil level and it slowly only drops to about just under the bottom line? I just wonder if maybe the pickup screen is clogged?
keithk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,540
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
What does it matter? Answer - it doesn't. If the oil level is anywhere within the upper and lower hash marks when the bike is level, vertical, and cold, then don't worry about it and ride on.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
GP Star
 
Omofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 2,616
Posting Frequency
   
try not to get high before you ride, j/k. 8-)
Omofo is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
keithk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elkhart Indiana
Posts: 4,480
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
What does it matter? Answer - it doesn't. If the oil level is anywhere within the upper and lower hash marks when the bike is level, vertical, and cold, then don't worry about it and ride on.
what I mean is the oil level is perfect at the top line when bike is level and not running, and then I start it while it is still level and watching the oil level and it went down like it should. I then went for a short maybe 3 mile ride and shut bike off held it up level and watched the oil level while I started it and it hardly went down at all? When I first started the bike it went down all the way like it should I thought?
keithk is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
keithk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Elkhart Indiana
Posts: 4,480
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omofo View Post
try not to get high before you ride, j/k. 8-)
I dont use drugs.:headshake but if your avatar was a drug I would be hooked!
keithk is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,540
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithk View Post
what I mean is the oil level is perfect at the top line when bike is level and not running, and then I start it while it is still level and watching the oil level and it went down like it should. I then went for a short maybe 3 mile ride and shut bike off held it up level and watched the oil level while I started it and it hardly went down at all? When I first started the bike it went down all the way like it should I thought?
Again, if the oil pressure is good, and the quantity is good when cold, don't sweat it. there's no need to worry about it and there's so many variables that might cause this, it's not worth worrying over.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 PM
vr6
GP Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,603
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by shojivic View Post
If I remember correctly, the oil level should be halfway between upper and lower sight glass marker lines WHEN HELD VERTICALLY WITH COOL oil; not hot.

When the bike starts, of course the oil level will drop, as the oil is redistributed from within the pan to circulating around the engine as it does normally.

When shut off after reaching hot/running temps, it'll take a few minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan. Once back to the pan, the hot oil level will show higher than cool oil levels since heat expands the oil; increases the volume.. Don't sweat it..
Great explanation
vr6 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
GP Star
 
Omofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 2,616
Posting Frequency
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithk View Post
I dont use drugs.:headshake but if your avatar was a drug I would be hooked!
Omofo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 10r flooding on startup and or not starting... DZZNUTS Performance and Tech 18 03-02-2011 08:49 AM
Issue with battery (on startup) Bigmarky The ZX-10R 4 12-11-2010 05:25 PM
'08 ZX-10R Flashing Warning Lamp on Startup! Proteus Performance and Tech 12 12-09-2010 09:44 AM
Bike dying upon initial startup???Any help BIGBADBRY The ZX-10R 28 05-18-2009 11:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome