Oil and Coolant Dump out on 2008 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Oil and Coolant Dump out on 2008

Ok hears what happened on my brief ride today.
I was out for maybe 10 minutes, and riding along with my buds. We stabbed the throttle and all of a sudden i lost traction and the motor raced to red line. I let off and re-applied the throttle and bang right to red line again. Little did I know, the rear wheel was smoking as it was spinning. The oil dumped out all over the road, and the coolant dumped out too. Nearest I can tell it was coming from the oil filter. I pulled over immediately after my bud flagged me down (don't have mirrors on the bike so didn't see the tire spinning and smoking) maybe went 500ft. I looked through the oil level glass, and saw green coolant in it, checked the oil fill plug and it was green too. The motor sounded fine when I shut it off. Didn't sound like any catastrophic failures, but something had to give.
Anyone have any ideas at what happened?
Just kind of want to know what to look for instead of going in blind.
Im probably going to try and take the head off tomorrow and have a look. Does anyone know if i have to drop the motor to get at the head, or will it come off with it still in the bike?
BTW, the bike has 12000km on it, and it is a 2008.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechmain View Post
Ok hears what happened on my brief ride today.
I was out for maybe 10 minutes, and riding along with my buds. We stabbed the throttle and all of a sudden i lost traction and the motor raced to red line. I let off and re-applied the throttle and bang right to red line again. Little did I know, the rear wheel was smoking as it was spinning. The oil dumped out all over the road, and the coolant dumped out too. Nearest I can tell it was coming from the oil filter. I pulled over immediately after my bud flagged me down (don't have mirrors on the bike so didn't see the tire spinning and smoking) maybe went 500ft. I looked through the oil level glass, and saw green coolant in it, checked the oil fill plug and it was green too. The motor sounded fine when I shut it off. Didn't sound like any catastrophic failures, but something had to give.
Anyone have any ideas at what happened?
Just kind of want to know what to look for instead of going in blind.
Im probably going to try and take the head off tomorrow and have a look. Does anyone know if i have to drop the motor to get at the head, or will it come off with it still in the bike?
BTW, the bike has 12000km on it, and it is a 2008.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
sounds like the head gasket to me
post #3 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by angstroma2004 View Post
sounds like the head gasket to me
anytime you get coolant in your oil, it's gotta be the gasket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

i agree that it sounds like the head gasket, if any coolant channels cracked in the block its game over. hopefully you shut it down before any major internal problems occurred, although that can happen real fast.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Make sure the oil cooler and the water pump are in proper condition before you start tearing the engine apart.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #6 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

ok thanks guy's.
Now will i be able to pull the head with the motor still mounted in the bike or will i have to drop the motor first?
post #7 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Repeat: make sure the problem is not the oil cooler!!

Do a proper diagnosis on this before you start ripping stuff apart to fix stuff that isn't broken while not fixing what's actually broken ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 31 Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Repeat: make sure the problem is not the oil cooler!!

Do a proper diagnosis on this before you start ripping stuff apart to fix stuff that isn't broken while not fixing what's actually broken ...
Oh ya for-sure. As I take the plastics off, I'll take a look at everything so I can rule the obvious things out. The last thing i want to be doing is tearing into the motor while we still have riding weather here.
I just want to know so if it does come down to the head I've got a heads-up
post #9 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

OK, here is where I'm at now, drained oil and coolant (what was left anyway), removed oil filter (spin-on type) and the outer gasket had puked out, so thats where all the fluids were escaping from. Removed oil cooler and the only o-ring on it looks to be in great shape. It is on the outer rim, Have no idea on how to inspect the internals of the cooler as it doesn't look like it can be disassembled to verify. Next thing now on the list is the water pump. Hopefully there will be an obvious o-ring or something that sticks out like a sore thumb, that caused these problems.
Will post other updates as they come..
post #10 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Was that a K&N filter by chance? I've just read another story where the gasket puked out. Doesn't explain the coolant though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in