Ohlins piston kit vs. cartridge - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ohlins piston kit vs. cartridge

This question refers primarily to 08-10 models.

I have updated the rear with the Ohlins TTX.

For the fork I am looking at either installing the 20mm piston kit FPK105, or installing a cartridge kit, 25 or 30mm.

My riding level is amateur racing level, the setup is intended for track use.

The difference between standard and cartridge is described by many as large, but where on the scale does the the piston kit show up? Almost as good as the cartridge? Just above standard?

Anyone who have tried both 25 and 30mm cartridge on this bike? Opinions?

We are talking bang for the buck here, tires and track time eat the budget.
I will be installing and servicing myself, regardless of choice.

Anyone who had the fork legs polished for reduced stiction? Opinons?

Anyone who had the comp needles replaced for better precision in setup? What did you use? GP suspension?
Applicable to the piston kit and, I assume, the 25mm cartridge (not applicable to the 30mm kit).

Would appreciate to share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Bang/Buck- the $500 deal Ohlins is running on the piston kit can't be beat. I can't really speak to anything beyond that. ...oh... except I do like the needles that came with my AK20's. Much more precise adjustments.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl View Post
Bang/Buck- the $500 deal Ohlins is running on the piston kit can't be beat. I can't really speak to anything beyond that. ...oh... except I do like the needles that came with my AK20's. Much more precise adjustments.
Actually the piston kit will be less since I do the installation myself.

I take it you have tried the piston kit on a 08-10 model, am I correct?
How would you describe the difference stock vs piston kit?

/Stefan M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan m View Post
I take it you have tried the piston kit on a 08-10 model, am I correct?
How would you describe the difference stock vs piston kit?

/Stefan M
No...was speaking in general terms. I have the AK20 cartridges in an 07. Huge difference, but a lot of it was likely getting the correct springs for my not so light figure.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If you run short sprint races (6-10 laps) you won't get much benefit from the cartridges. If you run 20 lappers, get the cartridges. Not much difference between 25mm or 30mm. Always polish the forks.

I have a set of 25mm cartridges for sale
post #6 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The biggest difference is in the amount of adjustment between the cartridge kit and the piston kit.

The piston kit- only replaces the fork piston and valving along with it, the amount of adjustment is determined by all the other hardware in your forks.

The cartridge kit- replaces every thing inside the forks, (pistons, valves, compression tube, cap, needle, springs and all.)

You will gain over all adjustment with the cartridge kit VS. the piston.
I.E. 20 clicks of rebound VS. the showa standard 10, the over all adjustment is around the same I would assume but the increments in which it is adj is smaller and finer on the cartridge kit. allowing you to more fine tune depending on track and other factors. same goes for spring preload and high and low compression.

You will also gain travel with the cartridge kit, because it eliminates the top out springs. I.E. giving you more adjustment to better set spring preload and over all front end feel.

Also with the cartridge kit you have much higher manufacturing tolerances for the rest of the fork components which are not replaced with the piston kit, which means less friction, deflection, oil bypass and others which leads to a more constant set up.

All that in mind, I would say if you are a suspension set up novice or slow like me, then you would be better served going with the piston kit. Although the cartridge kit will bring you a higher resale value then the piston kit ever would.

DISCLAMER: I AM SLOW AND DUMB ( I ride a set of 25mm cartridge= I am partial to them, but I have installed a few race tech piston kits, set up a few ak-20's, and rebuilt more forks then I can shake a stick at.)

Last edited by goldfish; 01-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I had everything done to my stock forks on my zx6r and there seemed to be a huge difference. I wasn't really able to thrash the bike given the shitty conditions when I rode it. I'm getting the ohlins rt fork put on my 10r this month so I can give you an idea of how they feel later. My guess is redoing the stock forks is plenty for most of us.

Are you just doing track days or are you racing, or planning on going into racing?
post #8 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey View Post
If you run short sprint races (6-10 laps) you won't get much benefit from the cartridges. If you run 20 lappers, get the cartridges. Not much difference between 25mm or 30mm. Always polish the forks.

I have a set of 25mm cartridges for sale
I am not racing any longer, only practice/track days, but I keep up with my former race pace.

Why the distinction between race distances?

I may be interested in your cartridge, I looked at your thread, I understand they are revalved to work for heavier rider than stock?
post #9 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post
The biggest difference is in the amount of adjustment between the cartridge kit and the piston kit.

The piston kit- only replaces the fork piston and valving along with it, the amount of adjustment is determined by all the other hardware in your forks.

The cartridge kit- replaces every thing inside the forks, (pistons, valves, compression tube, cap, needle, springs and all.)

You will gain over all adjustment with the cartridge kit VS. the piston.
I.E. 20 clicks of rebound VS. the showa standard 10, the over all adjustment is around the same I would assume but the increments in which it is adj is smaller and finer on the cartridge kit. allowing you to more fine tune depending on track and other factors. same goes for spring preload and high and low compression.

You will also gain travel with the cartridge kit, because it eliminates the top out springs. I.E. giving you more adjustment to better set spring preload and over all front end feel.

Also with the cartridge kit you have much higher manufacturing tolerances for the rest of the fork components which are not replaced with the piston kit, which means less friction, deflection, oil bypass and others which leads to a more constant set up.

All that in mind, I would say if you are a suspension set up novice or slow like me, then you would be better served going with the piston kit. Although the cartridge kit will bring you a higher resale value then the piston kit ever would.

DISCLAMER: I AM SLOW AND DUMB ( I ride a set of 25mm cartridge= I am partial to them, but I have installed a few race tech piston kits, set up a few ak-20's, and rebuilt more forks then I can shake a stick at.)
I am slow too

Did you change the comp needles together with the installation of your cartridge?

I have been suggested to change comp needles when going for the piston kit.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
I had everything done to my stock forks on my zx6r and there seemed to be a huge difference. I wasn't really able to thrash the bike given the shitty conditions when I rode it. I'm getting the ohlins rt fork put on my 10r this month so I can give you an idea of how they feel later. My guess is redoing the stock forks is plenty for most of us.

Are you just doing track days or are you racing, or planning on going into racing?
"had everything done", exactly what does this include?

Yepp, redoing stock fork is definitely enough....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cartridge, ohlins, piston, shims

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in