Ohlins forks vs cartridge kit - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ohlins forks vs cartridge kit

Ok, I found an ohlins shock a while back for a very good price and Im needing to set up my forks for my weight and riding style. I'm looking into the ohlins forks or their cartridge kit. I'd like to keep my all black forks but I want to know what I'd be sacrificing in doing so. I've already sourced aplace to anodize the fork tubes and paint the bottoms but what can you do with the lower fork tubes to black them out? Please no comments on " you don't need ohlins, they're overpriced yada yada yada", I'm just curious on the performance between the 2. As far as my riding abilities, I'm a big guy but I do push the bike very hard. Thanks for any and all replys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
Ok, I found an ohlins shock a while back for a very good price and Im needing to set up my forks for my weight and riding style. I'm looking into the ohlins forks or their cartridge kit. I'd like to keep my all black forks but I want to know what I'd be sacrificing in doing so. I've already sourced aplace to anodize the fork tubes and paint the bottoms but what can you do with the lower fork tubes to black them out? Please no comments on " you don't need ohlins, they're overpriced yada yada yada", I'm just curious on the performance between the 2. As far as my riding abilities, I'm a big guy but I do push the bike very hard. Thanks for any and all replys.
I'm really not sure about the differences in performance. I do think that the difference in cost can be recovered in resale value.

Both the forks and cartridge kits are priced really good right now.

If you decided you didn't like the color, I might take them off your hands this spring...
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

the only thing I know about the fork tubes is they have less fiction for travel so i'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to paint the lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
the only thing I know about the fork tubes is they have less fiction for travel so i'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to paint the lower.
No, I was refering to the bottom where the calipers attach. Definetly wouldn't paint the lower tubes

post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I believe the ohlins forks are longer which gives you more travel to work with.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You will feel no difference whatsoever between the cartridges and the whole fork assembly. And I'm throwing the now so it's ready if someone here says you or they can.

You're obviously stuck on buying a name regardless of whether or not you need them or how much money you could save by going another way but unless you just gotta have people see you got ohlins stuff, buy the cartridges and spend the money you save on trackdays.

I know the OP said he didn't wanna hear that and I'm not trying to be a dick but someone's gotta be realistic around here.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastone View Post
You will feel no difference whatsoever between the cartridges and the whole fork assembly. And I'm throwing the now so it's ready if someone here says you or they can.

You're obviously stuck on buying a name regardless of whether or not you need them or how much money you could save by going another way but unless you just gotta have people see you got ohlins stuff, buy the cartridges and spend the money you save on trackdays.

I know the OP said he didn't wanna hear that and I'm not trying to be a dick but someone's gotta be realistic around here.
I'm not stuck on anything, and I don't think you're being a dick. I just came accross an ohlins shock for a very good price and needed something done being I'm 265 lbs unsuited. I was just curious if I'd be missing out on anything with just the cartridges. Like I said I'd rather keep the stock forks, I don't like the gold of the ohlins. I not stuck on a brand but shouldn't I keep things matched up? Thanks for all the info and advise

post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
I'm not stuck on anything, and I don't think you're being a dick. I just came accross an ohlins shock for a very good price and needed something done being I'm 265 lbs unsuited. I was just curious if I'd be missing out on anything with just the cartridges. Like I said I'd rather keep the stock forks, I don't like the gold of the ohlins. I not stuck on a brand but shouldn't I keep things matched up? Thanks for all the info and advise
You can get bitubo forks. If you are prepared to buy R&T ohlins forks then the bitubo ones wont give you sticker shock, and they are black in color. do a search on this site for pictures, traxxion dynamics is their US distributor and are great to work with. these are quality parts, highly recommended as an ohlins alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in