At odds end with the ticking noise - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

At odds end with the ticking noise

I have read all the posts I can find about the cam chain tensioner problem with the 04 zx-10r. I have tried the back up thing turned the bike crank backwards manually. Pushed on the tensioner withe a screwdriver. Did the back out the two holder bolts here it click once and tighten it trick. I checked to see if I had a sticky valve by taking the cams out and pushing down on all the valves. Checked all the valve retainers to see if any of the are broken and checked all the valve clearance to see if they were out of spec and they were all in. I replaced the tensioner with a new one to see if that was the culprit. My only other thought is to change the cam chain itself and the guides. The bike is a 2004 zx-10r with a little over 5000 miles. the noise was not super loud but just annoying until I started messing with the tensioner. I did do the stethoscope thing all over the engine and the noise was loudest near the tensioner. Does any one have any other ideas about what the noise could be. The thing runs great idols fine has plenty of power nothing to suggest it would have a bad valve although is sounds like the whole engine is ready to explode with all the ticking noise you can hear it well over the engine and far away from the bike. Dropping throttle you can kind of hear the chain doing something. Any suggestions would be great I don't want to sink every penny I have into this thing taking guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

Not doubting what you are describing but it is a well known fact that these engines are very noisy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke (1729-1797)
post #3 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

the chain doesnt sound tensioned right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien10 View Post
Not doubting what you are describing but it is a well known fact that these engines are very noisy.
VERY noisy. I suggest just riding it.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

You can also have a manual cam chain tensioner installed and adjusted by your trusted mechanic. But for reference you may need to have it adjusted once or twice a year depending on how much riding you do.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just ride it, that's just your bike talking to you. I don't even notice the racket on either of my Kaw's anymore.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #7 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Some of the ticking you hear can be the reed valves in the evap system, they can get very noisy. ZX7's had particularly noisy/ticky ones.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I did order a APE manual tensioner. I would have to say this noise is louder than any chain slap or valve noise I have heard. I had two zx6rs a 98 and a 2003 636 both had the normal Kawasaki noisy valve train but this one sounds like the motor is ready to blow kind of thing. The weird part is there is not any power loss or weird idol no weird vibrations or anything. I did float a valve on my zx6r many years ago drag racing and know the sound of a bad valve and a blown engine. Has anyone ever changed the chain guides with any luck I did notice that the front guide had a superseded part number. My next plan so far is to take the cams out once more inspect the chain guides and the chain to see if there is anything abnormal and to see if I can see what is making the noise before I put on the manual chain adjuster. I did notice when I put the other new one that even going backwards forwards on the crank that it did not want to get very tight I had to near force it by pushing on the back chain guide to get the thing to click once more. It is really weird that Kawasaki would design something like that. This is my fourth Kawasaki and I before this one had high faith in them to build really good beatable machines. That 636 I had was like the energizer bunny you could ride it hard and it just wanted more. I had 30,000 miles on it and it barely showed signs of weakening.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

When I first got the bike I kind of thought about the air flapper valves on the top my first zx6 I missed hooking up the air tube and they made that noise that was actually the first thing I checked. I'll see how the APE works I am a little nervous using it but all my old bikes as a kid had the manual types you just have to keep up on them an not go crazy on the tightness.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
I just started noticing this on my 04 10R the other day! I just rolled 10k miles early this week!

Strictly for my Ninjas
https://www.instagram.com/mistr.123/
Current Ride: 2016 ZX-10R ABS (under construction)
Former Ride: 2011 ZX-10R ABS
17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in