Which octane for custom tune? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,477
Posting Frequency
        
Which octane for custom tune?

I have access to 95, 97, 98 and 100 octane petrol. The octane number changes depending on the petrol station you go. When I had my bike dyno tuned last time, I had it done with 100 octane as that was what the tuner recommended. The problem is sometimes when we go for rides outside the city it is difficult to find 100 octane, instead I fill up with 95 or 97 octane.

I've been driving turbo cars and they are very octane sensitive especially on high boost levels but bike engines seem to be less fragile even with a custom map. Maybe because bike engines are louder but I don't hear any pinging/knocking when I use lower octane.

Do you think it's better to have the bike tuned with lowest octane (95) as a safety measure? Will using lower octane hurt the bike if the bike is tuned for higher octane? I prefer to have the bike tuned for highest octane because I have access to 100 octane most of the time but also don't want to hurt my baby during rides outside the city where I am much harder on the throttle.
Hattori Hanzo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
WSB Rider
 
Ninjamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vacaville CA
Posts: 670
Posting Frequency
 
Tune it for the safe octane that is always available. Can't go wrong with that. I have read on this forum people gaining HP with 89 octane(I don't know how that works) but it sound like you are in europe so you are screwed with such high octane ratings.

What are the price differences with the octanes?

'02 6R (traded for 10R) , '04 10R (Sold) , '04 10R (Sold)Jet Black/Blue Magna Pearl , '07 10R SE-A&R HIDs, Baffles, BO Plates. VH/Vortex Sliders, PC3, SH V4, GIpro, BMC, FP Vstacks, Pegs, EBC HH, Pazzos, Metzeler M3's, Black Powder Coat: Wheels, exhaust, foot controls. BearingWorks, Puig Black DB, Secondaries, GPR V4, CA Smoked. dyno SAE 151.1 stock, tuned 154/75 with mods.
Ninjamaster is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
GP Rider
 
Gang Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McMinnville, OR
Posts: 1,271
Posting Frequency
  
Want more info and a buttload of opinions check out the SEARCH feature above. You'll find several Threads already

Rubber Side Down!!!
"Read The Signs"

God gave Rock'N Rolll to ya, and Kawasaki too!
Gang Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
GP Star
 
SpazOnaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.V. Arizona
Posts: 2,806
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Green View Post
Want more info and a buttload of opinions check out the SEARCH feature above. You'll find several Threads already
+1

...I'll tell you what a good tuner told me once: "Tune it on the octane (fuel) you are going to run it on. Period." Simple enough advice to follow.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
SpazOnaZX is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,477
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamaster View Post
Tune it for the safe octane that is always available. Can't go wrong with that. I have read on this forum people gaining HP with 89 octane(I don't know how that works) but it sound like you are in europe so you are screwed with such high octane ratings.

What are the price differences with the octanes?
approx.
2.90usd/L for 95 octane
2.96usd/L for 97 octane
3.10usd/L for 100 octane

Yes I'm in Europe. My concern is not about fuel economy though. 100 octane is available most of the time except few places outside the city.
Hattori Hanzo is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
inappropriate
 
hesaves0211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY/NJ/NC
Posts: 7,728
Posting Frequency
Images: 67
           
Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
87 octane. trust me. my bike pulled 159 on that shit and its been debated amongst the forum by other riders that 87 pulls more ponies. furthermore, super streetbike mag did a study with higher octane gas and found they might have a 1hp difference.

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
hesaves0211 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 AM
GP Rider
 
ducatiryder89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the garage!!!!!!
Posts: 1,279
Posting Frequency
Images: 21
  
Yes the lower Octane fuel could potentially give you more HP if you tune for it. We are talking about regular get at the pump unleaded and unoxygenated fuels. With regular pump gas use the Octane with the slowest burn point that it will allow without pinging. Ok Octane 101. All octane is the measurement of the withstanding of autoignition or preignition where the fuel ignites by compression before any spark occurs. That as we all know is bad juju and know as detonation. Optimal in a perfect scenario is for the fuel to start its combustion at TDC just as the spark plug fires. That will give you the most complete burn and the most power. So in theory yes you can get more power with a lower octane and yes it can be perfectly safe. But in my humble opinion is the extra 1-2hp and the savings of $.30 a gallon really worth the risk???? And once again this is for pump gas only. Race fuel is a whole nother topic.

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ducatiryder89 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM
GP Rider
 
ducatiryder89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the garage!!!!!!
Posts: 1,279
Posting Frequency
Images: 21
  
Oh and to answer the question as long as the fuel that you are putting in doesn't cause you to ping then you should be ok.

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ducatiryder89 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Track Day Rider
 
tigersurvival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 150
Posting Frequency
 
Send a message via AIM to tigersurvival Send a message via MSN to tigersurvival Send a message via Yahoo to tigersurvival
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
...I'll tell you what a good tuner told me once: "Tune it on the octane (fuel) you are going to run it on. Period." Simple enough advice to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiryder89 View Post
Yes the lower Octane fuel could potentially give you more HP if you tune for it. We are talking about regular get at the pump unleaded and unoxygenated fuels. With regular pump gas use the Octane with the slowest burn point that it will allow without pinging. Ok Octane 101. All octane is the measurement of the withstanding of autoignition or preignition where the fuel ignites by compression before any spark occurs. That as we all know is bad juju and know as detonation. Optimal in a perfect scenario is for the fuel to start its combustion at TDC just as the spark plug fires. That will give you the most complete burn and the most power. So in theory yes you can get more power with a lower octane and yes it can be perfectly safe. But in my humble opinion is the extra 1-2hp and the savings of $.30 a gallon really worth the risk???? And once again this is for pump gas only. Race fuel is a whole nother topic.
tigersurvival is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
GP Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,477
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiryder89 View Post
Oh and to answer the question as long as the fuel that you are putting in doesn't cause you to ping then you should be ok.
That's what I want to know. If the bike is tuned for 100octane will it ping when I use 95 octane? My bike is kind of loud so I would not be able to hear it ping if it did.
Hattori Hanzo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many miles before a custom dyno tune MR ZX_R DC The ZX-10R 6 07-17-2008 12:49 AM
Custom Tune For E10? olumpa Performance and Tech 4 06-11-2008 08:57 PM
opinon on custom tune please dirt ninja Performance and Tech 17 12-20-2007 08:20 AM
Octane... zx10r_guy The Out House 14 05-13-2007 02:28 PM
118 octane???? mikebar4 Race and Stunt 14 07-11-2006 05:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome