o2 sensor yes or no ? pros/cons - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Post o2 sensor yes or no ? pros/cons

Okay, I know exactly what the O2 sensor is for, but I want to know with a link pipe or even a full exhaust, is it actually causing problems with a mapped bike?

eg, im going to flash my ecu with a map after i get my link pipe ( maybe full exhaust later ) , if i leave the o2 sensor enabled and connected will it fight my fuel mapping ? or should i just disable it in the ECU and be done with it.

I like the idea it might be cleaning up the map if its imperfect, but dislike if its going to argue and bitch with the map thats currently installed.

would love your professional feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the map will be followed by the ECU, the o2 sensor should clean up any deviation from the requested map. So I would think that leaving the o2 sensor in would be the better solution. Of course most of my tuning expertise comes from cars and it could be all kinds of different for a bike
post #3 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Narrow band lambda sensors have a limited range of data they read. I have flashed ecu's without worrying about the o2's influence on my maps. I have a friend that leaned the mixture out too much from a custom pipe he built and the o2 spoke up and threw a check engine light. But we didn't have any other sensors on the bike to monitor air/fuel ratios so we typically leave them alone. I have heard of people disabling o2's as long as a maf sensor is still there to monitor.
When data logging we disable o2's on the Buells so they don't try and correct the mapping we are trying to adjust. That's with a Dynamic Digital Fuel Injection though. Basically the ecu monitors closed loop riding and tries to achieve stoich by either taking away fuel or adding fuel across all cells. So if wot is tuned well and the cruise area of the map isn't right it will correct cruise and now wot isn't correct. Hence why we disable o2 when tuning from data logging. We work on each area independently.
This is a good topic and hopefully someone will speak up with more knowledge about tuning an inline ecu that use's efi.
But yes, if the map is really close in all areas of the cells then the o2 should keep you close to stoich where cruising is held in the rpm range.

Last edited by Matteson; 01-12-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

But ecu mapping software has no afr tunning maps
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for replies, i understand everything but that, stoich ia not exactly perfect for all bikes, like on my last bike it was roughly 13.2 everwhere but up top and 100% tps it was around 12.8

Memeory serves me right stoich is 14.7, which is too lean for high rpm or WOT, so im struggling here.

So the bile is closed you said? So that means it requires or does not need the o2? Maybe ita both map plus marrow to clean up.

Issue is my woolich racing box has no possible maps for the afr maps, so it must be just to give warning but not modify?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Megalog viewer as well as Tunerpro allow you to analyze afr maps[IMG][/IMG]
post #7 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Well fuck thats awsome i didnt know, woolich needs to pull his finger out, im turning the o2 sensor back on
post #8 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Watching with interest.. :)
post #9 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The Narrowband sensor produces a voltage of approximately 0.8v+ when rich, quickly dropping to 0.2v or lower when lean .
To maintain the correct AFR, the ECU will alter the air fuel mix slightly in each direction and makes sure the changes flip the output voltage between rich and lean.
When working correctly, the measured signal from the lambda sensor flicks between 0.8v and 0.2v at a steady rate from the mixture alterations, but the response time is too slow for engine speeds over 3-4k rpms. Above these speeds, the ECU works in open loop which is a default rich condition, and these may be subject to the long term fuel trims available in OBD2 ECUs, when the ECU has measured a factor to correct the AFR.
Now, I don't believe the ecu is obd2 but I would imagine that the o2 could benefit you in closed loop just for economy purposes.
Is there a place in the software to turn off o2 correction?

Last edited by Matteson; 01-13-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Misprint
post #10 of 15 Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

So are you data logging and tuning the bike with this info? Or just burning stock maps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in