Not Another Lowering Thread... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Ervins
Not Another Lowering Thread...

I am new here...Today I dropped a deposit on a brand new black 2006 ZX-10R. It will be my 3rd bike and I have a little over 3 years of riding experience. My first bike was the red 2003 - 636 below and my last one which I sold a month and half ago is a 2003 CBR 600rr. I lowered both those bikes and they handled very well. However, now I move up a class and need to research and get info ASAP. I am 5'7".

Each of my previous two bikes were lowered. 636 was 1.25 inches in the rear and the 600rr was 1 inch...The front were dropped equally (except the 636 due to the forks where is was about 1 inch). Either way, it was nice to flat foot and lets just say I handled my rides very well through my commute to work, twisties, and track. I'm a safe 36 year old in addition to that.

My question is (I have looked up all the lowering threads btw) what do you all think of me lowering the bike 1.25 inches in the rear and likewise in the front. Will it be good, bad, negligible, etc. I have the lowering link and want to get it done by the time I pick the bike up next Wednesday (I have already arranged to get the stand chopped and welded).

Any help in feedback would be appreciated as I know a few of you have lowered your rides. Thank you in advance!

2006 ZX-10R SOLD, 2005 KX250F, and 2007 YZ85
and a Ton of Guns
I will never own a Honda again.

www.ema-usa.com
Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM

Posting Frequency

it totally depends on what you are going to use your bike for. I drag race so lowering and strapping is a must. I dont run the strap on the street though, just at the track. Twisties are still ok, but not as good as when it was at stock height. Good Luck
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsr154 View Post
it totally depends on what you are going to use your bike for. I drag race so lowering and strapping is a must. I dont run the strap on the street though, just at the track. Twisties are still ok, but not as good as when it was at stock height. Good Luck
Thanks for the response. Mostly, commute, a lot of twisties (I work near a major Bay Area one and also live near most of the fun routes). For commuting it will be great for twisties it might help keep the front down out of turns, anything else is just icing.

and a Ton of Guns

www.ema-usa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
No offense, but are you short? If you lower it so you can ride, that's how it has to be. Yes, it will change the handling dynamics of the chassis. It seems as though this won't be the first time you've ridin a lowered bike, so you are probably use to the way they handle.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER K View Post
No offense, but are you short? If you lower it so you can ride, that's how it has to be. Yes, it will change the handling dynamics of the chassis. It seems as though this won't be the first time you've ridin a lowered bike, so you are probably use to the way they handle.
I am 5'7"...Vertically challenged Yeah if done right the dynamics can be sort of kept but yes indeed it is changed. Thankfully I have lowered two other bikes with stellar results. Just want to see if anyone has done the same exact lower that I am looking at...I know the clearance is 4.7inches vs 5.1inches for the 636...So wanted to see if that might be a "big" factor.

and a Ton of Guns

www.ema-usa.com
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to CatchMe4G63
I'm 6'4" and I lowered my 10r 1.5 inches in the front and rear. It handles just as good if not better than when it was at stock height.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchMe4G63 View Post
I'm 6'4" and I lowered my 10r 1.5 inches in the front and rear. It handles just as good if not better than when it was at stock height.
Cool! Why did you lower? Just so it does not pop up or for comfort reasons...The reason I am lowering is because of the hills I live and work on. However, I appreciate the response.

and a Ton of Guns

www.ema-usa.com
post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to CatchMe4G63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervins View Post
Cool! Why did you lower? Just so it does not pop up or for comfort reasons...The reason I am lowering is because of the hills I live and work on. However, I appreciate the response.
Honestly I just wanted to try it, for $17 I said why not? I bought lowering links that have 3 settings: stock, 1.5 in, and 3 in drop. I wouldn't go lower than 1.5 though. I love the look of the lowered stance and to my suprise, I love the way it rides. Feels to me like the bike handles better now that it has a lower center of gravity.

Zach "ZDB10r"
08 ZX10r - Blue (Current)
05 ZX10r - Magma Red (Sold)
05 ZX10r - Flat Black (Sold)

Last edited by CatchMe4G63; 08-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchMe4G63 View Post
Honestly I just wanted to try it, for $17 I said why not? I bought lowering links that have 3 settings: stock, 1.5 in, and 3 in drop. I wouldn't go lower than 1.5 though. I love the look of the lowered stance and to my suprise, I love the way it rides. Feels to me like the bike handles better now that it has a lower center of gravity.
That is what I wanted to hear...Pretty much the same when I lowered my 636...It turned better and was more stable. I look forward to getting this bike next week.

and a Ton of Guns

www.ema-usa.com
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Lowering

Apparently, the mechanic at the stealership is inept and cannot lower the bike due to the tapering fork and work related to putting the links on as well...What is the lowest amount in INCHES that I can lower the front. As for the rear, do you have to take the exhaust off?

and a Ton of Guns

www.ema-usa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in