Nitrous w/dynojet quick shifter - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Nitrous w/dynojet quick shifter

I have an 04 zx10r...I am running an akra evo2,dynojet PCIIIUSB & quick shifter,MPS fast fi box,bmc filter and a 30 shot of nitrous....I will also be getting the new dynojet ignition box when it is available. Might also install the high comp gasket and degree the cams..

I heard at a local shop that there could be a problem running the quick shifter with the nitrous??? the shifter automatically cuts the ignition so the clutchless shift engages with no power to the trans...they said if the shifter is hit while still spraying the nitrous could mess the motor up and fill the airbox full....causing god knows what problems...

He said that someone at nitrous express stated a wire w/inline fuse needs to be run to keep this from happening...he did not have the specifics...

Does anyone here know or can they find out???? Maybe some info or diagrams on the installing this or what parts are needed...

Thanks

on1whl

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 PM

Posting Frequency

I'm reading the box from my Quick Shifter and it states:
"The Dynojet Quick Shifter (DQS) allows full throttle, clutchless shifting. This is done by momentarily cutting the fuel to the injectors, which unloads the transmission."
So, according to Dynojet, it cuts the fuel not the ignition. Yes, that can be a problem. I don't have a solution for you but did want to clarify the operation of the Quick Shifter.

Mike
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by on1whl
I have an 04 zx10r...I am running an akra evo2,dynojet PCIIIUSB & quick shifter,MPS fast fi box,bmc filter and a 30 shot of nitrous....I will also be getting the new dynojet ignition box when it is available. Might also install the high comp gasket and degree the cams..

I heard at a local shop that there could be a problem running the quick shifter with the nitrous??? the shifter automatically cuts the ignition so the clutchless shift engages with no power to the trans...they said if the shifter is hit while still spraying the nitrous could mess the motor up and fill the airbox full....causing god knows what problems...

He said that someone at nitrous express stated a wire w/inline fuse needs to be run to keep this from happening...he did not have the specifics...

Does anyone here know or can they find out???? Maybe some info or diagrams on the installing this or what parts are needed...

Thanks

on1whl

[email protected]
Nitrous will give you all the power you want, save yourself the expense of the degreeing and stay away from the gasket. The forced "atmosphere" the nitrous provides is gonna really jack up your actual compression! Nitrous-depending on the amount-might require some negative timing. About the quick shifter aiding a nitrous blow-up; maybe it will-maybe it won't. Wear a Kevlar jock strap, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

on1whl, if you can get your shifter activation to get a relay to momentarily cut power to your nos in conjunction with its ign/fuel cut, you might be able to get away with it. But still look into the jock strap. Happy motoring!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 07:43 AM

Posting Frequency

Well, heres the thing, nitrous is only supossed to be used at full throttle over 3000 RPMs so that enough vacuume can accumilate in the intake. When the spark is cut, and nitrouse is flowing, you can* and that is loosly have a backfire. You can almost garuentee that it will exploid in the exhaust. Put it this way, when you have a cedilene spelling? torche, and you dont have the oxygen on it is just a flame of low temperature. As soon as you add that oxygen, it becomes a whole different ball game. Same thing with your case. I suggest running a relay (very simple to do) with your ignition power supply line. I think the quickshifter will have this somewhere. Just tap off of it and go to your local radio shack and get a relay.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 07:57 AM

Posting Frequency

Guys, The QuickShifter kill the FUEL! Not the Ignition Spark like most other shifters. I've got the EXACT setup on my 10R and squeeze 40hp. I've had no problems, No back fires. I've got my kill time set at 75 milliseconds! I see the only danger is maybe a lean situation (which is bad) for that short time. I myself have considered using a relay in conjuction with the shifter to kill the NOS.. I just have not set down with a test light and figured it out yet..
Give me a couple of days and I'll get you some photos and have a walk through on it. As long as it stays cold here for a couple of days... If it's warm out... I'm gone!!!!! LOL!!
Recon
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 AM

Posting Frequency

damn...200 ponies...ouch
post #8 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 AM

Posting Frequency

dynojet interrupter

I used a dynojet interrupter on an air shifter for years, in a ZX10. My new injected ZX10r has a computer with a map for each gear. Muzzy sells an interrupter for the ZX12 which works because there is only one map being interrupted. I inquired if their unit would work on the ZX10r, and was told to "watch their website". In other words, they are aware that the '04 injection maps (6) are different from the single map systems. It appears to me that both the dynojet and Muzzy current systems will cause the fuel injection trouble light to go on, resulting in the default to the computer. This would be as if you hit the kill switch rather than turning off via the ignition, and resetting the system. Therefore, I am running the engine without hooking up the dynojet unit and waiting until someone comes out with an interrupter that specifically states that the interruption of the gear/map relationship is not compromised.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Motorhead- those of us running TRE's- aren't we fooling the ecu in believing we are in one gear anyway?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceRecon
I've got my kill time set at 75 milliseconds! Recon
I'm running 55 ms with no problems. Have you tried shortening the time? Or is there a reason for the longer duration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in