New Tires for Track School - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

New Tires for Track School

I am scheduled to go to Streets of Williow on Sept 29th and 30th for the STAR racing school then in November I am booked for Laguna Seca for the California Superbike School. I have run 2 sets of Dunlop Qualifiers but I am now needing new tires for these classes.

Just Wondering if people have any thoughts on any of the other tires that are available. I am not worried about milage so the dual compound tires don't really seem to be any benefit to me. I am just looking for a tire with good traction.

Any input would be apprecciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Pretty much any of the DOT race tires will do what you want for the class and following track day. I currently am running Michelin Power Race tires for the track and they have been great.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's

Because wheelie!!!

17' Honda 1000RR SP - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
16' ZX10R - SOLD
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The DOT race tires are eeeevil good. I ran a 2 day school with a miss-matched set (Bridgestone rear, pirelli front) and was/am very pleased with how they worked compared to street tires. The front was REALLY impressive: It's a supercorsa SC2 (medium, I believe?). The bridgestone (Bt-002 soft, in a 55 profile) would move around a little bit, but it was always predictable/stable. Then again, a 10R could make just about any rear tire squirm methinks.

Those tires were awesome; they made the whole experience so much better. Having a front tire that works that well really makes the 10R a blast to heave around. :)

Let us know how it goes. :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd opt for Pirelli DiabloSuperCorsa's
If you have someone that can dial in suspension really well. Maybe the NTEK Dunlops.

Rubber Side Down!!!
"Read The Signs"

God gave Rock'N Rolll to ya, and Kawasaki too!
post #6 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

211 Dunlops, they are supposed to be the shiznit, I ran a couple of sets of the 209 (predascessor) and they rocked, so i can imagine the 211GP's would be great!

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #7 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have looked at a few of the DOT race tires that have been mentioned, my only question is do they need to be fairly hot to work well. I have only been on a road course a few times before and I do not claim to be super fast. Because of this I am leary of a tire that needs a lot of heat to work well. I mean riding and giving the tire time to warm up is not a problem, but if we are talking about a tire that I have to be dragging a knee for 5 laps before it starts to get warm enough to really hook up then that is prolly to much tire for me.

Are these tires fairly easy to ride on or do they have to be pushed super hard to get good on the track?
post #8 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Geez, then just use a good street tire....I am VERY happy with my BT-016 and DC III are also good tires....

post #9 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The majority of the DOT race tires get better when you get 'em nice an hot, but they get hot rather easy. A couple of easy laps in and they get up to a good enough temperature to get pretty aggressive. The outright grip when they're not warm is still better than any street tire I've used that's not warm, and they seem to warm up a whole lot faster than any street tire I've used either. :)

You might want to ring up the track/tire guy at the place you're going to to check on prices and such. My local track has -screaming- deals on the DOT race tires, and really good advice on pressures and how they run.

Or you can just run street tires until you feel you need better tires. The bad part is you usually don't feel you need them until you go upside-down somewhere. I think they're a great security blanket... and cheaper than bodywork repair.

G'luck

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006zx10r View Post
I have looked at a few of the DOT race tires that have been mentioned, my only question is do they need to be fairly hot to work well. I have only been on a road course a few times before and I do not claim to be super fast. Because of this I am leary of a tire that needs a lot of heat to work well. I mean riding and giving the tire time to warm up is not a problem, but if we are talking about a tire that I have to be dragging a knee for 5 laps before it starts to get warm enough to really hook up then that is prolly to much tire for me.
Based upon your limited track time and own admission of not being supa fast there's a few street tires that will suffice until you do manage a quicker pace and more experience requireing DOT race tires so save yourself some cabbage$$$$ in the mean time and use the DC3's, BT016's.

BD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in