Gen 5: 2016- New owner Weighing my tuning/flash options - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2018, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

New owner Weighing my tuning/flash options

Hey guys, basically as the title states I'm just looking to figure out what/how/where to tune. I literally just want the bike to be safe with some new parts I just grabbed and I'd like to check out the auto blip but it's not a deal breaker if it's not included. Basically, I don't know shit about actually tuning the bike myself so I'm thinking a actual Dyno tune is the way to go? It could be Overkill? I live in Utica NY and am willing to travel 3-4 hours for a reputable tuner. Options I've seen were Woolrich ecu flash, the Woolrich tuning kit I think where you plug into laptop I think? Schnitzel, guhl and the power commander. I just want safe and reliable.

Mod list:
M4 3/4 slip on
M4 cat delete pipe
Driven block off plates
Bmc air filter
16t up front
I also bought a healtech pair system elimination and I have a servo buddy(as added security for engine light)

Thanks in advance I've searched and can't really find a relative answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-16-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Would I be better off with the Woolrich v3 or the v3 logbox when I don't really know what I'm doing?
post #3 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingstatus10R View Post
Would I be better off with the Woolrich v3 or the v3 logbox when I don't really know what I'm doing?
^ Cant answer you on that because i have just a bench tune but i strongly advise locating a tuner that uses woolich and have them dyno tune. Mail in bench tunes work fine but probably leaving a few ponys without fine tuning. I dont now of any tuners around that area but some facebook and google searches might point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Op its all kind of people offering mail in flash options if you dont feel comfortable doing it which probly be your best bet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
ddipaola likes this.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 10:24 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

EDR Performance in Oregon. Mail in your ECU, get it back in a day. Get an Autotune module. Bam one and done,

You cant do a custom dyno tune without a piggyback.
ddipaola likes this.

18 Ninja 400R
17 ZX10RR
16 S1000R
14 BMW S1000RR
1996 ZX7R

CaliTrackDays A group Marshall
post #6 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
EDR Performance in Oregon. Mail in your ECU, get it back in a day. Get an Autotune module. Bam one and done,

Do they sell a auto tune or is there one that is highly recommended? Sorry tuning cars and bikes are soooo different. Lol I'm still trying to get out of lingo down compared to what it is in car world.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

2wheelmike and Neonmarine like this.

Last edited by ZX10RArcher; 07-25-2019 at 10:11 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
Wrong. Wrong in many regards.

Also, piggybacks cannot accurately adjust the low-medium throttle and the off throttle fueling where the ECU is switching to two references as opposed to just throttle. Long story short, a piggyback can only accurately tune at over 10% throttle input. Anything less and the fuel references change internally inside of the ECU and are constantly fluctuating and will not always be the same. So if you're at say 8% throttle and 3000 RPMs; that reference point used by the ECU will not always be the same meaning while at some points in time, the values input into a piggyback will be on, most of the time they will not as either manifold or ambient pressures are changing constantly on the fly and BOTH of those determine what the fueling is doing off throttle and up to 10% throttle. The only way to accurately tune that range is to edit those reference cells specifically - which a piggyback cannot do.

OP; If you don't know what you're doing but want to have the option to tune it yourself, I advise getting the Log Box as it will see what the exact AFR is and retune it for you. It is pretty much idiot proof and there are a lot of downloadable maps for you to play with, change, retune or mess with in developing your own mapping.

If you don't want to do it yourself or are afraid of it, I advise bringing it in and having it tuned through the ECU for you by a tuning shop if you need suggestions, open a ticket up on the Woolich Racing website (Woolich Racing Support Ticket System) along with your ZIP code and they can make suggestions.

If you feel comfortable sending out your ECU, send it to Nels @ 2 Wheel Dynoworks (https://2wheeldynoworks.com/) and they will flash the ignition, ETV tables and other changes along with enabling auto blip for you and send it back. It won't be a 100% dialed in custom tune, but if you check their changes on the dyno and you and your tuner feel there is more to be had, then you can fit a piggyback and retune; just remember that a piggyback will only accurately tune at 10% or more throttle input.
Thank you Soo much. Lol unfortunately, this was how most tuning inquiry threads I've seen so far have been.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

One more question that slipped through the cracks that I forgot was, I don't have any seat time with the block off plates and Link pipe and air filter. Should I start the bike and run it for a little bit before I send out the ecu? I live in New York and it's currently in my living room so riding it's kind of out of the options for me
post #10 of 16 Old 12-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You send the ECU in and in the work order list all the mods you're planning to use. They have to take these into account when they figure out which flash to give you. 2wheeldynoworks has lots of combinations that they've developed maps for, for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in