New Clutch WTF - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

New Clutch WTF

So I just installed a new clutch... rode it around the block a few times, seems fine.

Now I go to the drag strip, do my burnout and now the clutch lever has a TON of play. In fact even with the lever pulled all the way in the bike still pulls forward slightly. I do the run anyway and at the end pulling the clutch in does NOTHING. I adjust it, do another run.... and had to do a TON of adjustment again (but not quite as much). WTF is going on here? Anybody else ever experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaZX10 View Post
So I just installed a new clutch... rode it around the block a few times, seems fine.

Now I go to the drag strip, do my burnout and now the clutch lever has a TON of play. In fact even with the lever pulled all the way in the bike still pulls forward slightly. I do the run anyway and at the end pulling the clutch in does NOTHING. I adjust it, do another run.... and had to do a TON of adjustment again (but not quite as much). WTF is going on here? Anybody else ever experience this?
I have seen that happen on a couple of bikes ive done not sure why. after a couple of adjustments it stop and everything worked well. I have gone as far as checking stack hieght to make sure nothing was wrong. but have seen some people have the issue and something was wrong inside the clutch sack hieght was way low
post #3 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i would pull the clutch cover and check the stack height to make sure you didnt miss anything. you dont wanna burn up your new clutch by having the wrong adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I put one in mine and had to readjust after about 100 miles. Sometimes you just have to get some fine tunage on.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

My 05 i had to make a bunch of adj. when it was new,now i hardly ever have to even after hard runs.
post #6 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

Thanks, I'll pull it and check the stack height. What are you guys running (stack height)?
post #7 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Is this the first clutch you have ever put in, not saying you did it wrong but there are a few thing people do wrong when they have never changed a clutch.

1. You are suppose to START with a fiber and END with a fiber.

2. If your bike is an 06 or up did you remember to put the 2 little "washers" between the 1st and 2nd steel? Alot of people accidentally put the washers between the clutch basket and 1st steel and it can get wedged between the basket and hub.

3. The last fiber must be rotated 1 notch from the rest of the fibers.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyc_13 View Post
Is this the first clutch you have ever put in, not saying you did it wrong but there are a few thing people do wrong when they have never changed a clutch.

2. If your bike is an 06 or up did you remember to put the 2 little "washers" between the 1st and 2nd steel? Alot of people accidentally put the washers between the clutch basket and 1st steel and it can get wedged between the basket and hub.

Sorry to threadjack, but what is the reason for this? I have always done it but never have been sure why other than thats the way it comes out so thats the way it goes in.
post #9 of 38 Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyc_13 View Post

Check on 1. and 3., don't understand why I did #3 though but I did it. If anybody could explain why I would love to know.
I have a 05, so #2 doesn't apply. Oh, and yes it is the first clutch I've replaced.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Read through this thread and see if you come across anything you forgot

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Also did you make sure the outer hub "locked" into place, it will only go in a certain way and it will rest on the last fiber...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in