New Brake Pads Clicking/binding - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
New Brake Pads Clicking/binding

07 10R, 06-07 14 calipers. Picked up SBS ZX14 pads, installation and rotor/caliper cleaning went smoothly. When rolling the wheel the pads make a distinct clicking sound and they slightly bind, but only through part of their rotation. The other half of the rotation they make no noise and do not bind.

Will bedding kill this noise and binding? I had some issues with what I thought was warped rotors during a track day. My suspension guy told me that a good cleaning and new pads may fix the issue as pad material may have built unevenly.

What now? Bed the pads and hope for the best. If the rotors are toast I'll be wasting the pads, correct?

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers

Last edited by SUPER K; 01-19-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I did the same mod, no clicking rolling forward but clicking rolling backwards while applying the brake. Since install and a couple miles everything is great " GOT BRAKES" The pads do need to be bedded. If the rotors are warped then they definitely will wear out your new pads early along with a nasty pulsing. Mic the rotors and check the tolerance. Make sure pads are installed correctly and clips and pins are secure. Check, double check and triple check, brakes may be the only thing that saves your life.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Will check the thickness wed. I really need a dial indicator to check runout I guess. Disks and bike only have 5k,miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

hey super k! Make sure when ever you remove the front wheel and then go to install it you align the front axel to the front forks before tightening the pinch bolts. and torque everything. the procedure is in the manual for front wheel installation. I have seen this cause rotor warpage if not done correctly. even on sbk rotors.

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT

Last edited by green10; 01-20-2010 at 05:59 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have the same set up super k, using the sbs race pads.. I dont know which line of pads you have but the race pads are more noisey in general. You will hear slight rubbing when moving... Its the nature of the material that you are hearing. Id like to know if you find some other solution to your noise issue.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
hey super k! Make sure when ever you remove the front wheel and then go to install it you align the front axel to the front forks before tightening the pinch bolts. and torque everything. the procedure is in the manual for front wheel installation. I have seen this cause rotor warpage if not done correctly. even on sbk rotors.
Thanks for the info. I tightened the axle first then the pinch bolts.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt ninja View Post
I have the same set up super k, using the sbs race pads.. I dont know which line of pads you have but the race pads are more noisey in general. You will hear slight rubbing when moving... Its the nature of the material that you are hearing. Id like to know if you find some other solution to your noise issue.
The pads are HH. There is a slight rubbing noise but The clicking is alltogether different. I'm willing to bet my rotors are warped. I'd like to try bedding the pads to see if it goes away, but I'm afraid ill just ruin a set of new pads in the process and then have to buy pads and Rotors. My wife is gonna be pissed......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in