Need suggestions on removing broken bolt!?! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Need suggestions on removing broken bolt!?!

So i tried removing this bolt a few weeks ago and it must have been seized up, because it stripped without hesitation. Just received my full system today, so I needed to get it off to remove the lower fairing. I tried taking a dremel and putting a notch across the top and using a flathead screw driver. No luck, still stuck. Just kept bending the bolt head.

To make a long story short, I ended up completely breaking off the head of the bolt. I dont have much room to work with, and im pretty positive its seized in there.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove it cleanly? I notice craftsman makes a tool called drill out, but im not sure if it will help or do more harm then good. Would I be better off taking it to an auto shop and seeing what they can do? If not an auto shop, what kind of shop can help me out with this situation? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 02:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Take your fairing off.Center punch the broken bolt right in the middle.Get yourself an Ezy-out with a drill bit to match the size.Take a bolt the same size to a good tool store,tell them what you are trying to achieve and they'll give you the right tool for the job.
Being only a small size thread it should come out pretty easy.Good luck!

Area P slip-on & link pipe,De-catted Headers,PCV & Autotune,Ivans block off plates,K & N filter,X-Tre,Driven Superlite sprockets,+2 rear,stock front,520 conversion,V4 Speedohealer,Servo motor eliminator,Re-valved Ohlins damper,Spiegler front brake lines,Zero Gravity SR dark smoke screen,Stompgrip tank pads,ZX-6 rear cowl,and more to come.

Speed dosen't kill,it's the sudden stop!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The obvious and most annoying thing would be to get a tap and die set but if this drill out thing works or Ezy Out then im sure its much easier.

-famousoutlaw-
09 ZX10r 8000k HIDS, Red led running lights, Akrapovic slip on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I've seen this easy out tool online, but does anyone know if I can find it at a local store. Such as home depot, wal mart, etc. Or do I need to order it online?

I would use the tap and die methof but I have no clue how to do that.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by czacharyasz View Post
I've seen this easy out tool online, but does anyone know if I can find it at a local store. Such as home depot, wal mart, etc. Or do I need to order it online?

I would use the tap and die methof but I have no clue how to do that.
Should find them at Sears, maybe home depot/lowes...or even harbor freight if ya have one close
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...set-40349.html

Faster than a drunk snail on valium!

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.

Last edited by TexasRider; 05-01-2011 at 07:42 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Factory fastners on just about everything but the motor are made of cheese. The shallow heads don't help either. Id go the easy out method and add a little heat.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I agree with the easy out method as stated above. You should not need to tap out the hole unless the threads are damaged, take a good look at them once you get the bolt out. Like it was stated however, the bolts are soft and weak, the bolt may be ruined but as soft as they are it most likely wont ruin the threads on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You can get easy out kits at napa or advance auto parts. Also what year bike do you have? And is it the larger bolt your trying to remove? I guess my question is what is the bolt holding together that you need to remove it?

Full Ti/CF Akrapovic EVO system, K&N filter, .045 Head gasket, Shaved & Ported head, Kawasaki race valve springs, Kawasaki race cams, PCIII + Ignition Module w/ rev extend, Removed secondary butterflies, Ivans TRE, PLX wideband, Orient Express clutch springs, Cut-down seat, Rifleman throttle insert, Muzzy links/Schnitz strap
post #9 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECYKOTIK1 View Post
You can get easy out kits at napa or advance auto parts. Also what year bike do you have? And is it the larger bolt your trying to remove? I guess my question is what is the bolt holding together that you need to remove it?
Its a 2008 model. I dunno if you can see it in the picture, its the lower cowling (the bolt that shows zip ties holding it on now.) I had no luck finding an easy out, but ended up buying a Craftsman "Drill Out." Pretty much the same concept.

Still no luck. Damn thing is stuck in there, have tried heat, tapping, drill out, and no success.

Am i best off taking it to a professional, or just hacking away with a drill bit and hope it comes loose?
post #10 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Like everyone else said get a easy out

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in