Need Some Input From Fellow Home Mechanics............. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Need Some Input From Fellow Home Mechanics.............

Some of you may have seen me mention one of my current issues with my bike. The bike has lost 300 to 500 rpm at idle. I haven't been able to adjust the idle speed because I forgot to put the idle adjuster in reach last time I took the throttle bodies off. The bike should be at 1100 rpm at idle. It's around 750 rpm give or take. Probably more to the take side. It's so bad I have to hold the throttle open to keep near normal idle. Even then the bike seems to idle rough, as in more engine vibration. I'll be taking the bike apart Tuesday for a new rear tire, oil change, and some cosmetic stuff. I plan to check the spark plugs. On my previous bikes the spark plug gap seemed to be the problem. I doubt it's the timing chain, but I may pull the head cover off to see if the timing marks are lined up. Anybody have any suggestion to where else my loss of idle speed could be from? I'll list all the engine specs, and mods below.

-04 ZX10R
-6978 Miles
-PC3USB Custom Mapped For A Ti Force Full System
-Air Injection System Disabled With Block Off Plates
-Thin Head Gasket (+ .5 to .75 of a point of compression added)
-Note Bike was dyno tested after thin head gasket. It was deemed not worth remapping. I agreed looking at new A/F ratio compared to the original custom map session ratio.
-Regeared -1/+1 F/R Sprockets I'm not a slow rider, but I don't hammer the snot out of my bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Posting Frequency

First think I would look for is a disconnected vacuum line.

It probably ain't the spark plugs. They is iridium and even though Kawasaki recommends a change at 7,500 miles, even conventional plugs easily go 10,000. In any event, iridium plugs can't be gapped (at least according to NGK). It ain't cam timing because if it was out a tooth it probably wouldn't run at all and if it did it wouldn't idle at all. I supprised you can't fish out the idle adjuster.

It is a little difficult to get the plugs out. The engine side support thingies and the plate they attach to at the underside of the frame have to come out. If you plan on checking them might as well have some replacements on hand. The NGK CR9EK seems to work at least as well as the stock plug in my bike. Crappy idle is sometimes caused by throttle body sync problems. It is easy to syn the throttle bodies. Mine were out a little at 3,000 miles when I check and the idle smoothed up a bit when I adjusted it. When you have the airbox off it takes five minutes to pop the throttle bodies out and fish out the idle adjuster.

Something else to think about is that tight valves can cause erratic idle. I checked my valve clearance at 3,000 and two intakes were right at the tight side of spec, five shims one the way from Ron Ayers (at $8.50 apiece, thank you) to put all valves at the same clearance and in the middle of spec.
These ZX-10R ridin' folks don't seem to work on their own bikes much.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

is your fi light on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
is your fi light on.
No

post #5 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey
First think I would look for is a disconnected vacuum line.

It probably ain't the spark plugs. They is iridium and even though Kawasaki recommends a change at 7,500 miles, even conventional plugs easily go 10,000. In any event, iridium plugs can't be gapped (at least according to NGK). It ain't cam timing because if it was out a tooth it probably wouldn't run at all and if it did it wouldn't idle at all. I supprised you can't fish out the idle adjuster.

It is a little difficult to get the plugs out. The engine side support thingies and the plate they attach to at the underside of the frame have to come out. If you plan on checking them might as well have some replacements on hand. The NGK CR9EK seems to work at least as well as the stock plug in my bike. Crappy idle is sometimes caused by throttle body sync problems. It is easy to syn the throttle bodies. Mine were out a little at 3,000 miles when I check and the idle smoothed up a bit when I adjusted it. When you have the airbox off it takes five minutes to pop the throttle bodies out and fish out the idle adjuster.

Something else to think about is that tight valves can cause erratic idle. I checked my valve clearance at 3,000 and two intakes were right at the tight side of spec, five shims one the way from Ron Ayers (at $8.50 apiece, thank you) to put all valves at the same clearance and in the middle of spec.
These ZX-10R ridin' folks don't seem to work on their own bikes much.
If I go into the plugs, I'll be replacing them regardless. I know how much of a PITA they are. I did my own Muzzy thin head gasket. The first thing I'll do is see where that damn adjuster is, and see how it will idle. The fact it's so far of is what's bothering me. I'll see about syncing the throttle bodies. It seems to backfire a little more, but that may be more to do with the idle being off. It's a bitch to ride with the idle so low. I looked like a non riding fool a few times because of it.

post #6 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 PM

Posting Frequency

Did you check the TPS settings in the PC3? That might need a good checking for 0 throttle, it might not be giving the bike gas at 0 thorttle and choking it for gas.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

cant you just adjust the thottle on the left side of your bike.there is a round thing that you can adjust with your fingers and you dont have to take it apart.i dont know if you knew that it was there.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNninja
Did you check the TPS settings in the PC3? That might need a good checking for 0 throttle, it might not be giving the bike gas at 0 thorttle and choking it for gas.
My dyno tuner actually set 0 throttle to +20 fuel to help on off throttle transition.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric
cant you just adjust the thottle on the left side of your bike.there is a round thing that you can adjust with your fingers and you dont have to take it apart.i dont know if you knew that it was there.
Yes you can. Just as long as you put it back in place if you take off your throttle bodies. I mentioned I screwed that up last time I took the FI off the bike in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP8(from 1st post)
I haven't been able to adjust the idle speed because I forgot to put the idle adjuster in reach last time I took the throttle bodies off.

post #10 of 22 Old 08-14-2005, 11:09 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Man, I dunno. I've got some weird idle problems myself that I've been hunt'n down. Maybe we can compare notes. When cold it idles up as expected but then drops way below normal idle after about 30 seconds. After the bike is well warmed, it idles normally. I've been scratching head and balls trying to figure it out. My next step will be to start removing aftermarket parts. TRE and PCIII one at a time.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in