Need some experts that can read tires - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
Need some experts that can read tires

Hey guys, i'm hoping a tire/suspension expert will be able to give me some pointers. I am running a set of Michelin 2cts (diff than shown in pic) and while i'm able to crank the bike over on to the far edge of grip the wear on the tire ; the wear is uniform however "Point B" (on the tread) seems to be in a bit higher position than "Point A"
so there is a little bit of a "ridge" if you rub your hand over the tire. Now I m pretty sure that this is a sign that I need to tweak my suspension as the wearing should be even.. Any advice ? See pic for which "points" i'm talking about.

PS, ignore the ginormous chicken strip, that is a brand new tire brought home after the Dragon Supercorsa gobbled up a nail

Last edited by spikespiegel; 08-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

no pic?

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

"Be kind and courteous to everyone you come in contact with but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

updated, pic should be up, from what I have researched so far, it is a result of compression damping needing to be stiffened up and the rebound not being in sync, will adjust and see what happens.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The Dragon Supercorsa I had on the back of my bike was the same way, but it was BAD. You could see the ridge/lip from 5 feet away. It was a track take off from Felix el Gato as well but I could never get rid of that lip in the tread.

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 04:06 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Under inflation, too low on the starting pressures , not generating enough tire heat.

Theres a difference between cold,warm and hot tires and this is detrimental to how you set up your suspension.

Starting and running pressures need to be a consistant number before you can evaluate a tire, if you are not reaching 200F with your tire then it is hard to determine which way to adjust your suspension other than for compliancy and ride comfort, certainly not for grip as this comes from a combination of all three things.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 04:16 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you look at any drive tyre, be it a car or bike, the edge (point b) always becomes feathered and lifts slightly. Under acceleration when that area is in the contact patch the rubber at point a is being dragged toward the tread groove (stretched if you like) while pont b is being pushed away ... don't know how else to describe it. This is part of the reason for using slicks on the track. Not to say you don't have a problem whaich could make it worse. However it is more than likely normal tyre wear.

Bill - GI Pro, Hindle slip on, Smoked screen, ZX14 brakes.... Well, you feel lucky, punk? You shouldn't, this is a 10R
post #8 of 9 Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The rebound being off is usually the cause of the high/low ridges on the edges of the sipes.

Try taking a click or two of rebound out and see if the ridge goes away.

NESBA #42
TPM #42
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the feedback guys, my psi hasn't been too low, i've kept it at 33 front and 32 rear. I have stiffened up the rear shock rebound damping and the compression damping (3/4th turn) as well; it feels a lot better (more stable) but I haven't had the chance to really test it out fully yet to see if the wear is even now

Last edited by spikespiegel; 08-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in