Need from some drag guys... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Need help from some drag guys...

My local track is finally opening up next weekend so I'm tying up a few loose ends this week. I will be running my '08 at SWB lowered 3". I am running stock (17/41) gearing at the moment (as I did last year). My question is if I go to 16/39 which is almost identical, it will give me an extra .5" of wheelbase. Is .5" really worth the trouble of swapping gearing?

Last edited by strkd50; 04-02-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Not in my opp... but the longer you go the better get some extensions, and try 16-42. I have 07 with 7 in stretch 16-42 and weigh 230 suited and run low 10's trying to get to 9's but only 2nd year for me. Good luck with whatever you do.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI BIKE View Post
Not in my opp... but the longer you go the better get some extensions, and try 16-42. I have 07 with 7 in stretch 16-42 and weigh 230 suited and run low 10's trying to get to 9's but only 2nd year for me. Good luck with whatever you do.
Its just my street bike, so extensions are not an option as of yet. I have had it geared down it the past and it just never seemed to pull as hard as with close to stock gearing .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i dont think so. but thats just my opinion. why dont you get some extensions? i was getting consitent 6.6s with a decent 60' having a lot of trouble keepin her on the ground. got the extensions and a shinko, first run i got a 6.3, and keep droppin. i ride mine 9" stretched on the street, rides beautifully

check out psychobike.com
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkd50 View Post
My local track is finally opening up next weekend so I'm tying up a few loose ends this week. I will be running my '08 at SWB lowered 3". I am running stock (17/41) gearing at the moment (as I did last year). My question is if I go to 16/39 which is almost identical, it will give me an extra .5" of wheelbase. Is .5" really worth the trouble of swapping gearing?
Not worth it at all. Coming from someone who went -1 to gain 3/8" of wheelbase - its not worth it.

Quote:
Its just my street bike, so extensions are not an option as of yet. I have had it geared down it the past and it just never seemed to pull as hard as with close to stock gearing .
I raced mine at SWB forever, put blocks on it and never looked back. Went from running consistent 7.1s to consistent 6.5s. I'm 290lbs in shorts.

I've got a set of blocks for an 08+ for sale in the marketplace right now. Comes with an extended brake like and truck billet caliper hanger. All you'd need is a chain.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
i put nearlly 400 passes on my 10 last season and learned more then i could ever read on a forum!id just get out there on one setup and ride the balls off of it and get used to every aspect of the bike before i changed anything,and when you do ....change one thing at a time,that way you know what to adjust if you dont like what u did.dragracing is all about keeping your edge and focus.i went from being the slowest to the fastest in my area on a 1000 in a matter of weeks by observing other riders and the diff in their skill vs. mine and adjusting to my setup.a stock wheelbase or even stock motor is all about setup!!!keep all your slips so you can see where your changing up!are you running 1/8 or 1/4?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If you can learn how to ride it SWB you can ride anything.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-sik-r View Post
i put nearlly 400 passes on my 10 last season and learned more then i could ever read on a forum!id just get out there on one setup and ride the balls off of it and get used to every aspect of the bike before i changed anything,and when you do ....change one thing at a time,that way you know what to adjust if you dont like what u did.dragracing is all about keeping your edge and focus.i went from being the slowest to the fastest in my area on a 1000 in a matter of weeks by observing other riders and the diff in their skill vs. mine and adjusting to my setup.a stock wheelbase or even stock motor is all about setup!!!keep all your slips so you can see where your changing up!are you running 1/8 or 1/4?
I am running 1/4, the track finally opens back up this weekend and they are calling for beutiful weather. So I should be able to pick up from where I left off last year and keep learning
post #9 of 13 Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetley View Post
i dont think so. but thats just my opinion. why dont you get some extensions? i was getting consitent 6.6s with a decent 60' having a lot of trouble keepin her on the ground. got the extensions and a shinko, first run i got a 6.3, and keep droppin. i ride mine 9" stretched on the street, rides beautifully

check out psychobike.com

This guy is crazy, Rides beautifully.... Im stretch 9 inches also and the thing rides like a semi, Compared to a stock wheelbase 10
post #10 of 13 Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, I have no desire to go to and extended wheelbase on a street bike. I much prefer double duty between the track and the twisties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in