Need help please - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Need help please

hows it going guys ive got a problem with my new zx10r that im hoping someone sees this and has the answer i need. i bought the bike a month ago and put a yoshimura R77 3/4 exhaust on it ( eliminating the cat ). now it idles funny and worse yet, it back fires on decel, bad !!!!! so, people told me i need to put a power comander on it to fix that. so i did but it still backfired the same. so i read some forums. i didnt find much on 2014 , buy earlier years and ALL other bikes that had the same prob simply installed " block off plates " and problem solved. every one of them. so i did it and it STILL backfires !!!!! honestly it ruins the whole bike thing for me. PLEASE HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

howdy, my name is Lance. will someone please give me a phone number of a mechanic near sac. ca. that is very familiar with ECU flashes and tunes and upgrades ????? my new zx10r is actin funny with this new yoshi pipe. its driving me nuts !!!! thanks .heres my number, ***-***-****

Last edited by YSR50; 11-18-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posting Frequency

Garage
Exclamation

Moved these posts to your own thread. Please refrain from posting unrelated issues in random threads, you'll have a better chance of getting an answer in your own thread.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 04:55 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Going off of the umpteen posts you put elsewhere, you put on a decat exhaust.

Without the cat, the air being injected into the motor via the pair valve system has no where to burn up so it burns up in your canister; giving you the crackling you're experiencing. You can help get rid of that by installing block off plates (PM Mike AKA RidersDiscount on the forums here and he'll set you up with a set of Graves plates) or you can install the $2 rubber plug from Brocks (http://www.brocksperformance.com/Bla...32648+C10.aspx). This caps off the air from the airbox going to the pair valve so you have no air injection and seals off the airbox so there is no pressure loss at speed. It's cheap and a 5 minute install. After doing that, if you still have popping you're probably going to need to have the bike tuned.

Regarding the fueling... you can't just throw a Power Commander on the bike and have it magically fix the problems. It comes with a "Zero Map" so there is essentially no fueling changes. You can download the base maps they have on their websites, but those are only going to get you so far. Ideally a custom tune is the way to go. Here is their base map... you need to use the American version since your bike has a restricted ECU. Download this file, connect to your power commander and load it up: http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...17-028-008.pvm (For NA Bikes, Yoshi R77 3/4 slip on /w stock filter).

What can be done, is the ECU can be flashed and help put in fueling that way for your slip on to help clean things up and somewhat help stop the decel popping. There is a guy on this board, that does the ECU flashes for cheap (hint, it's me): https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=218786

After that, you can have the bike ran on the dyno to see where your air fuel is at and make the determination whether to have fine tuning done to optimize the bike. It is something I recommend to everyone I flash.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

PM Mike.thank you very much for touching bases with me. Yes I did put block off plate on it and that didn't work either. I was talking to a guy on the phone today with that does dyno tuning and has a really great price for 6 certain areas of tune on the dyno. I'd rather do n ecu flash. That's what I really want any proper dyno tune after. If you would give me a price soon I would totally bring you the work. My phone number is 925 334 8000thank you very much and I'm hoping to hear from you soon.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

wait, all I do is dump oem can and the cat and slip on the graves. Runs great. yoshi can't be that much different. on the '13 and did the same on the '11 but that did kinda pop on decel but no problem. Bike didn't care. Don't notice pops on decel with '13 but possible used to it as I ride all the time.

So I think we're not getting the full story and history of this bike.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
So I think we're not getting the full story and history of this bike.
I dont see any need for the full story, as it isnt needed.

OP I put on the same system (granted I got the 77D) and it popped on decel. I put on a Bazzaz and it still pops on decel just not nearly as much. I have not had it on a dyno to get it tuned further for my specific bike and specs but when I do i expect it will not pop at all, or very little.

Ive had my bike like this for over a year with no issues besides just the annoying sound of the popping on decel, which isnt bad when you get used to it. I wonder if running this for tens of thousands of miles would become a problem but I dont plan on doing anything close to that to worry myself.

Another option is to go the Auto tune route, I know these are available but they require the use of an O2 sensor. Your specific exhaust does not have an O2 bung to be able to use one though sadly, but you could get one welded in place I bet.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't the California bikes have extra emissions aid on them? I'm not sure if the extra stuff will cause your issues or not. But most bikes shouldn't have an idle issue after just an exhaust.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

both my g4's are CA and appears op's bike has stuff done by prior owner. Assuming that the bike is actually not running correct, then something else is going on that we don't know about. I suspect op knows possible other variables.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
Don't the California bikes have extra emissions aid on them? I'm not sure if the extra stuff will cause your issues or not. But most bikes shouldn't have an idle issue after just an exhaust.
If it's not removed correctly, it could cause issues. Also, if the exhaust has a baffle and it is removed, that will cause issues at idle, where as under throttle it will run fine.

OP, If you have block off plates and installed them already and you said that didn't do anything, something is wrong. That should've cleared up quite a few of your decel popping issues. I'm assuming you'd still have some from the fueling being off, but it would be cleaned up considerably.

Also regarding my flash, all that info is in the thread I linked in my above post. The pricing and everything is in there. $75 for euro-spec flash, $100 for my more aggressive tuned flash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in