Need help on deciding on mods & info on them - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Need help w/ mods and opinions (tre,speedohealer,gi)

I know this is a very broad/generic subject on this but I wasn't sure what to call it.

Anyway I did search and read up on some of these topics but didn't find the answers I was really looking for.

I purchased a new OEM air filter and spark plugs as well for my 2005 10R. I plan on doing this sometime soon since I'm coming up on 7500 miles I wanted to change some things out. The bike to my knowledge is completely stock except for the Leo Vince Slip on and the SS brake lines I'm in the process of bleeding. I'm not the super mechanic but very confident in performing most tasks on the bike. Anyway since I put the Ohlins damper on and I'm going to do the plugs and filter like I stated I would like to put all the mods in the bike now so I don't have to take it all apart several times to do them at different times.

My first question is about the Ohlins damper...I bought it used from a guy on Ebay and it seems to make a bit of a squeeking sound when turning the wheel. I used to have a Hyperpro on my old 6R and I don't recall it making any sounds. The sound isn't very noticeable but if you put your head close you can hear it and just wanted to check if that was normal.

Now onto the engine mods. I'm considering doing these mods at the same time when I do the plugs and air filter and wanted to see if they are worth while and how hard they are to install, etc.

TRE

Power Commander USB III

Speedohealer

Gear Indicator

Are there any other mods I should do while I have the tank off and airbox, etc.?

Is the gear indicator a good mod to do? Anybody have any situations where it's been helpful beside shifting into "7th"?

What exactly does the TRE (timing retard elimiator?) do and what brand should I get?

Is the speedohealer something I will benefit from since I don't believe there are any teeth changes on the sprockets and don't plan on changing the gearing anytime soon?

I also read that w/ the TRE or something it will mess with the idle...how serious is that and what kind of effects will it have?

I think these are pretty much the main questions and I'm open to any suggestions as far as additional mods I can do or should do. I plan on a full Akra exhaust in the near future so I'll have the power commander installed for that ahead of time.

Thanks for the help.

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."

Last edited by themightymezzo; 08-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Any opinions?

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
post #3 of 13 Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

TRE makes a good paperweight in my opinion.

As for the speedo healer, I have the same opinion, a lot of things change as your tire wears , I just take 10MPH off mentally when going up to 100MPH, anything above that I am going to jail anyway.

Gear indicator would be nice, nothing like finding 7th gear whilst you're in a hurry.

PC111 USB is worthwhile, but finding a good dyno shop is a pain.

Some will tell you to remove the secondary butterflies ,but if you are going to do it, remove the shaft as that is the thickest profile part of the system.

My emmisions block offs have cured a lot of the back fires, not all, but if you are going to a full system and having it dynoed then they need to be blocked off anyway.

Not much gain if any by putting short velocity stacks on so I wouldnt bother .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

It depends on the TRE for me IMO. The GiPro uses a switch electronically to turn it off. My bike is for the most part is close to stock but does wonders for the on-off throttle abruptness in corners. A nice feature to have for a Sunday ride in the Mountains just donít do the sub-throttle forward adjustment if you donít want that high Idle Rev. at start up.

The Gear indicator is always nice but many riders have many different reasons for liking a Gear indicator for example like finding that mystery 7th Gear or stunters that own a 10R that better make sure they are not in first gear when they pull that hard wheelie up.

As far as the SpeedoHealer that is a must IMO even if you havenít re-geared your 10R as the stock cluster is way off as much as 6% higherÖ..it isnít a matter if your doing over 100mph or just trying to obey the Law the Speedohealer will get you close to real actual speeds for whatever reason your are adjusting your speed. Good luck with the Mods

bloo
post #5 of 13 Old 08-04-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sounds good.

So the speedo healer is worth the money.

The Gipro w/ ATRE is really not a necessity...won't gain a lot of benefits from it it doesn't sound like.

So it sounds like I'll go with the USB III and the speedo healer for now...neither which seems hard at all to install. Probably easier than the spark plugs?!?!

Are those block off plates worth it? I hear they help eliminate some of the backfiring.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Cams!, Dynojet ignition module,and BMC Airfilter since you'll have the exhaust and PC3.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I really like my speedo-healer. If you're quick with your math like FAF is, you won't be needing it, but I'm not that quick, and I like to know pretty close how fast I really am going. That and the PCIII were pretty easy installs w/out removing your air-box. If you're pulling your air-box and have an extra hour or two, you may as-well do the block off plates. I didn't think it helped my back-fire problem, but they may do me some good w/mods further on down the road. And...As FAF said, they need to blocked-off when you do your dyno anyway. There is no performance gains with it. I personally like the plates, but there's plenty of forums in here how to block them off w/out buying them.

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #8 of 13 Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

What do the block off plates do? Get rid of whatever for emmisions? Where could I buy them at?

What does the dynojet ignition module do?

post #9 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The block off plates will eliminate some extra emissions garb... It puts clean air into your system which apparently will cause extra back-firing. The plates just block off the ports which puts in the 'fresh' air. As I said before, no performance gains...Just gets rid of a little extra weight and curbs some of your back-fire problems. Plus, they need to be blocked off anyway when you dyno your bike. I got my plates from Dan Kyle... www.Kyleracing.com He will not give you the cap to plug off your air-box....It's a 5/8 inch cap that you can apparently buy at any auto supply store. I had something laying around that fit over it perfectly.

As for the ignition module, I'm really not sure.

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Posting Frequency

The air injection blows fresh air into your exhaust for emissions purposes. It makes the bike run leaner, which causes the "back-fire" problems people get. Basically it makes the bike run a little bit richer down low, which usually eliminates that lean backfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in