Need brake failure help!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

Need brake failure help!!

The front brake on my 05 ZX6R is locking up on me..Seems like it get hot and pressure builds and locked up..It happen to me once on the track (over the bars I go)..and this weekend, not even a lap (waiting at the pit) and pressure builds up.!! I'd changed the whole front brake system (stock) and it still happen again..I don't think it's the brake system now, what's the chances of 2 brake system fail the same way..My rotors and wheel looks straight, I spined it off the pavement and it looks okay. The fork shows no sign of damage..How do I check if my forks are slightly bent or off..Any tip(suggestion) is very helpfull at this moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

wonder if your rotors are warped? or your calipers have dirt in the piston and not letting them retract

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

either way I have a M/C for the 05 zx6 if you decide to replace parts

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10Duran View Post
either way I have a M/C for the 05 zx6 if you decide to replace parts
I'll keep that in mind but 2 sets of brake system doing the same thing?..I must be something eles..How much are you looking to get for it?
Next? Will my 05 ZX10R system fit my 05?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

everything clean?

I had a bike do the same thing. there's a tiny hole in the master cylinder that allows pressure to release once you let go of the brake lever. mine had plugged up with gunk, and wasn't allowing pressure to release.

That was on an old bike though that had been sitting for years. Not sure how it could happen on a new(ish) bike.

---------------------------------------------------
If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet
---------------------------------------------------
There are 'glass half empty' people, and 'glass half full' people. Then there are engineers who see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Is your master cylinder vented to the reservoir when the lever is released?

The tiny vent hole inside the master cylinder must be uncovered by the front of the piston to vent it to the reservoir when the lever is released, otherwise the symptoms will be exactly as you describe. The fluid as it warms up won't have anywhere to go as it expands, this causes the brakes to apply harder.

The other symptom of this will be that the brake lever gets really firm with little or no lever motion before the brakes are applied.

Usual causes of this stuff are improper adjustment of the lever, wrong lever for the master cylinder, bent brake lever so that it won't let the piston go all the way back, etc.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys..I'll check and do as advise here and see how it goes. I'll come back and pick you guys brain again later..I got 4 months before another track day.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Is your master cylinder vented to the reservoir when the lever is released?

The tiny vent hole inside the master cylinder must be uncovered by the front of the piston to vent it to the reservoir when the lever is released, otherwise the symptoms will be exactly as you describe. The fluid as it warms up won't have anywhere to go as it expands, this causes the brakes to apply harder.

The other symptom of this will be that the brake lever gets really firm with little or no lever motion before the brakes are applied.

Usual causes of this stuff are improper adjustment of the lever, wrong lever for the master cylinder, bent brake lever so that it won't let the piston go all the way back, etc.

bingo......if you have aftermarket levers and the lver is not fully released then it will do just like you decribed. make sure the lever is not binding up. A metal file to clean up the lever and your set. Could also be the vent clogged. but i have seen the levers cause this problem more then once

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
post #9 of 13 Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 AM

Posting Frequency

it's definitely a lever, master cylinder pblm. i f you got aftermarket levers make sure you adjust them to pos 6 (biggest distance handle to lever) and try again, specially on track use oil heats up and if lever is on pos 1, it can cause binding . further you might want try to put stock levers back on and check whether it still happens if AFM levers are not correctly fit, manufactured they might cause that effect as well as master cylinder never releases, i.e. expansion reservoir of brake fluid will be disconnected and causes seizing of brakes.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman53 View Post
bingo......if you have aftermarket levers and the lver is not fully released then it will do just like you decribed. make sure the lever is not binding up. A metal file to clean up the lever and your set. Could also be the vent clogged. but i have seen the levers cause this problem more then once
I had exactly the same happen when fiddling with another bike, and it turned out to be just this.

Cheers,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in