NE1 have problems with 06-07 full race fairings??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

NE1 have problems with 06-07 full race fairings???

I just installed full race fairings from formula 1 composites and had to cut a long hole so the lower wouldn't be against the head pipe. As soon as I got them fitted up before painting them, just a quick 3 minute ride down the road and back heated the gel coat up until it turned brown on the outside. So I cut a hole so it wouldn't be so close to it and now everything is fine. I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to prevent it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Race fairings are probably not designed to work with stock exhaust, the catted midpipe is much more "bublacious" than full system aftermarket exhausts.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Most race plastics have no provisions for kickstands and cats. The assume if you are buying race plastics pipe and kickstand are the first to go on a race bike along with lights and mirrors among other things.

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
Race fairings are probably not designed to work with stock exhaust, the catted midpipe is much more "bublacious" than full system aftermarket exhausts.
Yep, thats what I figured but I'm not spending anywhere around $1500 for a full exhaust system. I've got the dual c/f 2bros bolt ons but don't wanna take em to the track to get rashed so I put the originals back on.

It was hitting directly on the cat. I started to put some heat shield material between the fairing and the cat and then use header wrap around the part that was touching but I figured to hell with it and cut a hole in like 15 minutes to get it perfect.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Keep in mind that any organization or event that *requires* race bodywork will not be pleased with the hole. The belly pan on a bike is usually required to hold X amount of fluid so your bike doesn't lubricate the pavement in case of oil or coolant spew.

If you're just riding trackdays that allow oem fairings, it's no biggie - but if you plan on entering races it could be a problem.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenine View Post
Keep in mind that any organization or event that *requires* race bodywork will not be pleased with the hole. The belly pan on a bike is usually required to hold X amount of fluid so your bike doesn't lubricate the pavement in case of oil or coolant spew.

If you're just riding trackdays that allow oem fairings, it's no biggie - but if you plan on entering races it could be a problem.
Yeah trackdays is as far as it goes now

I thought about it before I cut the hole. I'm fairly new to trackdays and haven't done a whole lot but I'm hooked and try to do them as much as my wallet allows....just like everyone else I've rode canyons and gaps pretty hardcore before I ventured to the track and it def. helped alot. I'm about ready to give up street riding but still may ride off and on when I feel like changing the plastics back out.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

dang, I bought a full race fairing from our famous 3 amigos here on the forum that had one endurance on it. Cannot remember the name of the glass manufacturer though. After checking them on my ride, looked like plenty of clearance in the lower tray. I am using the beet system though, but looked like a lot of clearance even with the cats.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragone View Post
dang, I bought a full race fairing from our famous 3 amigos here on the forum that had one endurance on it. Cannot remember the name of the glass manufacturer though. After checking them on my ride, looked like plenty of clearance in the lower tray. I am using the beet system though, but looked like a lot of clearance even with the cats.
Yeah I'm thinking a full exhaust would've cleared these because, the fairing was only up against the cat not the rest of the smaller diameter header.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in