My take on the exhaust valve removal - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to cyclops24 Send a message via Yahoo to cyclops24
My take on the exhaust valve removal

Let me start by saying I used the search function and read all the posts regarding this. This isn't about what it does or how to remove it. It is about my impressions after disabling it. I have had my 10 for 2 years and just left the valve alone even after putting on a Leo Vince slip-on. So last weekend I started to research it again and decided since it was so easy to do why not try it and test it since it is reversible and takes about 5 minutes to do. I wasn't expecting any type of huge gain or even a noticeable difference. But I was more than suprised when I took it out afterwards to ride it. First thing is throttle response was GREATLY improved. This was the biggest thing for me. I always disliked the abruptness of the on/off throttle of the 10 especially in mid corner. Well that has been totally resolved. Next thing was the power characteristcis. I can't say I noticed any loss in low end. What I did notice was an increase in the mid-range hit. My front wheel wants to come off the ground anytime I get near that sweet spot more so than it did before. The motor also seems to rev faster. It just seems to build steam quicker so maybe that's why I didn't really notice any loss of low end. Now I am not saying that this gave me 10HP or anything. What I am saying is I think it improved the power charateristics. I do wonder if it was possible that the valve wasn't functioning properly since I saw in some of the posts that this was the case on some 10s. I know for me, its a good mod and I am keeping the valve disabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
im going to tinker w that right now. how-to?

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #3 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to cyclops24 Send a message via Yahoo to cyclops24
There is a thread out there with pics on how to. All I did was get to the servo, use an 8mm socket and remove the pulley that the wires connect too. No FI light that way and no issues thus far. If you don't like it after you disable it, just re-attach the wires and bolt the pulley back on. Literally took me 3 min to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Its conceivable that the cables stretch(like any) over time therfore the valve isn't functioning properly hence one possiblity why these bikes perform differently one to the next.
No doubt the disabling of the valve alters the bikes character and some may prefer it this way.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #5 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I had to go try it.. (Especially since it takes five minutes to do). I felt that the engine hit earlier (about 1000 rpm sooner than it did before.) I thought that there was a little loss of low-end, but not enough to really make any difference. I'll have to go race a gixxer before I make my final analysis though. The big question is, will it cause any unnecessary damage to the bike????

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #6 of 35 Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-ryder View Post
I had to go try it.. (Especially since it takes five minutes to do). I felt that the engine hit earlier (about 1000 rpm sooner than it did before.) I thought that there was a little loss of low-end, but not enough to really make any difference. I'll have to go race a gixxer before I make my final analysis though. The big question is, will it cause any unnecessary damage to the bike????
No damage at all.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd like to see a dyno output comparing with valve and without. I suspect that any valve further downstream than the collector is really no more than a noise valve, for passing whatever laws exist in the customer country. I've wired the valve open on my 636, partly because it seizes up, and I can't say I've noticed any difference either way. The valve on the 2006/7 ZX10R is closer to the headers, but I'd still be surprised if there's a huge effect, but a dyno run would settle the matter.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

You certainly get more noise and this sometimes contributes to the feel of more pull.
post #9 of 35 Old 06-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_uk View Post
I'd like to see a dyno output comparing with valve and without. I suspect that any valve further downstream than the collector is really no more than a noise valve, for passing whatever laws exist in the customer country. I've wired the valve open on my 636, partly because it seizes up, and I can't say I've noticed any difference either way. The valve on the 2006/7 ZX10R is closer to the headers, but I'd still be surprised if there's a huge effect, but a dyno run would settle the matter.
don't know about the 06-07 but there are many threads about this

Posted by NEK

post #10 of 35 Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Ex Postwhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to 9520G
I took mine off and it's great. No complains here and its been about a month.

"Never trade the thrill of living, for the security of existence"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in