Mounting wideband sensor? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Mounting wideband sensor?

I tried searching and no luck. I am looking for the best location to mount the wideband sensor on my 07 ZX-10. Obviously the best answer is to follow the manufacturers recommendation but lets be honest, I am going to have to bend those rules a little here.

I dont want to cut any fairing at all costs! If I have to and if I think its worth it, I will but I think this should be managable without doing it and get a good reading.

Where is everyone mounting theres?

I took some pics and a description. Let me know what you think is the best. Need to weld this bung up ASAP and get tuning!

First here is the decat pipe I bought. It looks to have 2 12mm O2 bungs (dont know why they are there) but the daytona sensor is an 18mm size. I was thinking of grinding the left side off and installing the 18mm bung there but doing this will only read 2 cylinders. But this hides the sensor really nice and snug in there out of view.

Next option is to install the bung somewhere on the decat pipe. Here are some sample on where to put it. Im not liking the idea of sensor sticking out to side of bike.

Next I could but the bung on the head flange itself but doing so again will only read 2 cylinders and I would prefer to weld bung onto the decat pipe over the header...

Next is I could put the bung after it mixes after the decat pipe but then that would be far back away from the motor and it would be after the butterfly valve... I dont know how accurate that would be. And again, issue with sensor sticking out the side of the bike

Obviously prime location is when the 2 pipes mix but I am willing to sacrafice some by putting up front closer reading only 2 cylinders. After all, its a fuel injected bike, not carbd. I am going to be honest... Im liking the fact of only reading 2 cylinders and just tune off 2.

Obviously a dual sensor would be ideal but Im not trying to get to involved like that. I have simple bolt ons just looking to tune with a PC rather than tune on a dyno.

Please keep this discussion about placement of O2 bung and what others have done. Thank you.

Last edited by kkline_83; 02-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Well I decided to just dive right in and go for it tonight...

Going with option 1.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you going to be able to get an air tight weld by the flange? Looks really close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshot34 View Post
Are you going to be able to get an air tight weld by the flange? Looks really close.
Yes. Its already been mocked up. I did a quick tack weld to hold in place and I bolted it in place, no issues. Serious oil pan clearance issues which is why I had to get it as straight forward as I could at an angle or it wouldnt clear oil pan.

I am not going to weld it just yet as the daytona sensor hasnt arrived yet. When it gets here, I will do a quick mock up and make sure no issues then weld it. I am using a stock O2 sensor for now haha
post #5 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The welder I had do mine said it was too close to the flange to get a good weld, so I moved it to the position like you had in the last pic on the first post. Can't really see it unless you get down and look.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ahhhh I see what you mean. I will mock it up tomorrow on the bike and angle it as much as I can to the oil pan and see what I can get for access. I was just going to weld it on inside too to make sure its sealed but I see what your saying.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

there must be a very good reason why akrapovic put there extra port in the single pipe section on there system's..............
post #8 of 12 Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakers10r View Post
there must be a very good reason why akrapovic put there extra port in the single pipe section on there system's..............
Oh yeah? And whys that? Are you just guessing or do you know what your talking about?

Regardless, the stock cat doesnt have the fittings so "Kawi must not of put them there for a very good reason"

I bought the decat pipe for 1 reason and one reason only. Whatever other intentions the pipe is made for, is not the route I am going.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

so it reads all the gasses in one section of pipe,kawasaki put one in each pipe for the same reason too read two cylinders each..your not going to get a accurate reading as you are only seeing the gases from two cylinders...
post #10 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakers10r View Post
so it reads all the gasses in one section of pipe,kawasaki put one in each pipe for the same reason too read two cylinders each..your not going to get a accurate reading as you are only seeing the gases from two cylinders...
Kawi NEVER put any sensors there to begin with so what are you talking about? The readings are going to be more accurate reading 2 than reading 4. I do not wish to explain myself to you because clearly your talking out of your ass.

Sign off the forum or learn to give advice only when you know what your talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in