Gen 4: 2011-2015 Motorgenic Adjustable Rearsets - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Motorgenic Adjustable Rearsets

Anybody have experience with motorgenic products? I’m bringing a gen4 back to life and this rearset seems like a great deal....anybody know different? Searching the forum turned up nothing for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Maybe. Picture or link of the ones you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I`m just in for the ride
post #3 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I honestly couldn’t find much by way of reviews anywhere on their products. Looks legit. Would just like a second opinion before I pull the trigger.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 01:24 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I've seen those in various forms with various 3rd party branding or un-branded on ebay. The most well known brand that they seem to come from is Hotbodies. They do have some nice details that attempt to differentiate from cheaper Sato knock offs such as a rubber capped shift lever and red anodized accents.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...x10r-2011-2017

Please try them out an report back to us.

FYI, if you look closer at the stock pic on the link you provided, they're branded with "Arashi" which is how you can also find them on ebay.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.

Last edited by Porschenut; 07-04-2018 at 01:27 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-04-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yeah I got antsy and ordered 🙂 to get my bike riding I need the shift assembly and a radiator. I figured at that price I’ll just do both the shift and brake and I just ordered a new radiator on eBay. Windscreen is busted too so I’ll get one of those but that’s not keeping me from riding. Hopefully this rear set doesn’t require any/much modification to install. Either way I’ll update once it’s on.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have them. Payed $118 with shipping on ebay. Too cheap to not give it a try, so I did. Here is a full review. Maybe it will help others later as well.
As mentioned they are Chinese and have different brand names. Arashi, mad moto, Area22, Hotbodies etc.

The short; If you expect to just put them on and go ride, look elsewhere. They need some issues taken care of, but when that is done they work good and for the price they are great. I would buy them again and use the saved cash for other parts.

The long;
All is from my 07 point of view.

-They allow for adjustment up/down and back+up/down from stock. Also adjustuble peg to shift/brake lever pin distance.
-Pegs are a little shorter than stock. Not a problem though. They have ok to good grip, but less on the edge. Better than stock.
-They do flex a little when I stand on them and rock. (about 215 in gear) For my weight it`s not so much it worries me what so ever.
Hell, even the stock ones flex, even though a little less than these. Some of the other expensive brands flex as well.
-Shifting is precise with the bearings. Much better than stock.
-They come with a return spring for the brake and allows you to mount the brake light switch. Both great features not found on all aftermarket ones.
-Machining is very good. Boltholes lines up perfectly. They have a solid feel and weight, but it is of course not possible for me to verify if it really is t6 6061 alloy, or the consistency of the production quality.
-I have used mine for about 2500 miles now. The anodizing is still like new. No wear marks from the boots what so ever.
-I personally think they look really good.

Issues;
-Replace all 10 load bearing bolts. The ones supplied are low quality. They are also a hair smaller in diameter than the good quality replacement i bought. If using the supplied ones, the thread fitment is looser than it should be. This is probably why it`s common to read that bolts loosen etc on chinese rearsets even when using threadlock. And I don`t trust them for strength either. For the peg bolts buy them longer than the supplied ones. The pegs got more thread and room. Measure.

-Take apart everything and use blue threadlock. No issues with bolts coming loose at all with mine.

-Bearings are low quality. Don`t know how long they`ll last. But they still work as they should for now. Can be replaced later if needed.

-There is a spacer between the peg and the bearing. As they use the same pivot/axle the spacer must only touch the inner bearing race. But the spacer lip is a little too low and causes some drag on the outer race/shifter/brake when you tighten the peg. I used a 0.3mm or so shim in between the inner race and the spacer lip. The rearsets with a separate mounting point for the peg and shifter/brake is a superior design. But still, this works well enough.

-The mounting position for the MC is more forward tilted. My stock brake line was a hair too short. I made a small extending plate (like 3mm x 5mm x 8mm) to rotate the MC mounting position back a little. It is hidden behind the heal guard. When I get new lines I will order a little longer for the rear.

-I had to extend the wires for the brake light switch to reach the mounting point.

-They need about 4mm of washers between the frame and the mounting bracket to bring them out to the correct position/line

-The lower mounting point for the exhaust heat shield is lost. But it is still securely in place without. On other gens this will be different.

-No spareparts available. Well, maybe you can get it from Hotbodies or area22.
Thats about it.

I`m just in for the ride
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I recently installed a set of "5-Star" Chinese rearsets on my other bike. Here's my opinion from experience...
The sets are going to look great out the box and there's no doubt about that. But aesthetics aside there is zero R&D put into ching chong parts.
A quote from literally all Chinese part manufacturers: "If it fits, it ships."

Here's most of the issues I have:
1: Not once but twice in one night a loctited shift-lever bolt vibrated off separating the shift rod from the lever. Had to replace the nut with a nylock one (inconvenient but whatever, ok).
2: The shift-rod geometry is just plain WRONG. The shift rod should move perpendicular to the travel of your foot, mine shifts at about a 15 degree angle (off perpendicular) with nearly 25% more travel required. The shift peg now rolls fore/aft of my foot instead of staying stationary in one place throughout shift-travel.
3: The brake side was a complete nightmare, not only did nothing but the master bolt on correctly but with the master on I lost the ability to use the lower-most positioned holes (which of course were the f***ing holes that I felt worked the best for my body).
4: None of the hardware in the kit would marry to the master cylinder clevis.
5: The rear brake switch was un-mountable.
6: There was nowhere to mount a return spring.
7: The bolt they wanted me to run through the MC clevis is 2mm to small in diameter and deflects when applying pedal force (guarenteed to either shear or give me a scenario where: deflection > cylinder travel = reduced brake force)
8: The heim joints and bushing are absolute garbage and didn't even come adequately lubricated per the application.
9: Perhaps the most painstakingly irritating and migraine causing thing was that it didn't come with any directions on top of being the furthest thing from a direct bolt on.

Again, these were for a different bike. This kit looks like it may fit with less irritation than mine but after this experience it's doubtful I'll ever throw $115 at rearsets when I could spend $300 or so a set of Driven's that will probably fit better, come with reliable hardware, be backed by the company which is already widely known, respected, and used, etc. etc. etc. You're going to get mixed reviews on this kinda stuff. There's going to be 1/3 of people with good luck, 1/3 of people who won't go back, and 1/3 of people who won't even take their chances.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 07-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Both of these posts are exactly the kind of feedback I was after, and I thank you. I knew that there would be some minor issues (fit, hole alignment, cheap mounting hardware, etc.). But I really appreciate you both listing out the specific things. Fortunately (since they are bought and on their way) I am a welder/fabricator and nothing I read worries me or is outside my mechanical ability to resolve. Direct bolt on is convenient, but usually only going to happen with OEM and is expensive. I was more concerned with the structural integrity and the feel. The rolling on the foot thing kind of makes me wonder, but I’ll just have to see. At that price, if I end up hating them, at least I will be able to ride while I wait on a replacement 😉
post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The Motogenic ones look pretty legit in comparison to OEM. It looks like they decided to keep it original and not do anything fancy like on mine (which is again for a dif bike though haha). Let us know how they fit/look.

When in doubt... send it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in