Gen 2: 2006-2007 Motor rebuild vs buying a used motor - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Motor rebuild vs buying a used motor

Would it be more economical or practice to buy a replacement motor off of fleebay?

What is the cost of having someone rebuild the motor?

My bike is a daily rider, I'm paying for my own college, and I've never been to the track. Cost and reliability would be my main concerns.

I've looked at rebuild kits online, they gasket kits. I don't see any that include bearings. What parts do I need for the rebuild of a motor (gaskets, bearings, head studs, etc.)?

Would it be wise to replace the head of the bike instead of attempting to reuse it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

I guess it all depends on what needs to be done with the engine. Used engines can be found for around $1000-$1500, depending on who's selling it, mileage, etc.

What happened to your engine?
post #3 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I got a spare engine out of an 08 zx10r for my 06 zx10r when this one needs rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I've been thinking about doing the rebuild thing myself. Mine throws out a small puff of smoke when I start accelerating out of a corner but isn't using any oil yet. I am interested to see what everyone has to say on this topic myself.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

There's nothing wrong with my motor... yet.

Its working perfectly, no smoke and it pulls like a demon. However at 70,000 miles its been around the block and then some. There are very few of these motors with that millage, although that's attributed more towards people wrecking their bike or blowing up the motor at the track.

I don't think anyone really knows how far the motor can go. I believe the general consensus is that they should reach 100,000 miles with care and proper maintenance.

Its inevitable that the motor will need a rebuild, and the chances are that it will need it sooner then later, so I'd like to be armed with solid information before that happens.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

If you look around you may be able to get lucky and get a motor under a grand. I got one of a buddy that supposedly had 8k miles on it for 750 bucks. I put almost 40k miles on it and it ran like a champ. BUT its safer knowing that you have fresh parts in your motor rather than buying something on someone elses word. For bearings you won't know what you need until you get the motor apart and look at them. There are 3 different size bearings these motors come with.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
If you look around you may be able to get lucky and get a motor under a grand. I got one of a buddy that supposedly had 8k miles on it for 750 bucks. I put almost 40k miles on it and it ran like a champ. BUT its safer knowing that you have fresh parts in your motor rather than buying something on someone elses word. For bearings you won't know what you need until you get the motor apart and look at them. There are 3 different size bearings these motors come with.
I would rebuild
I also would not purchase a used motor unless I had the opportunity to check it out myself, with that said I have purchased offline before (desperate buy) and motor was flawless.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Also depends on if your doing the labor of rebuild or somebody else..If someone else then it will be cheaper to buy a used motor i'd think..

IF you've never done it then, its tedious work..from ordering the correct bearings/parts to shimming valves to degree-ing the cams. Internal TQ values are very important as well..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I would like to rebuild the motor myself. While I've never done a motor rebuild, I have serviced my own valves several times, and replaced a head gasket once. I'm confident that if I took my time and had plenty of research available, I could accomplish the task.

I'm still evaluating the cost vs benefit of rebuilding the motor myself. The benefit would be having a 0 mile motor. Then again, it might be worth spending the money to just by a motor off of fleebay, throw it into the bike over the weekend and be done with worrying about it.

So in order for it to be worth rebuilding, I need to really know what I'm getting into. Aside from gaskets, what really needs to be done to the motor?

-Gaskets
-Piston rings
-Rehone the cylinders??? Is this possible, or must the cylinders be bored over??
-Crank bearings and rod bearings??? Should they automatically be replaced, or should they be examined and replace the worn ones?
-Water pump bearings??? Probably not, never heard of one failing on this motor
-Oil Pump??? Probably not, never heard of one needing replacement
-Machine the head???
-Replace the head??? I've read the service manual for replacing valve guides, sounds like I need an oil bath heater... does harbor freight carry one of those (LOL)
-Cam shafts??? I've measured them with a micrometer, they have a bit of wear on them and seem to be half way through their service life, I could just keep using them and replace them on one of my valve jobs

Any thoughts on the things I've listed? Any other considerations?

While I want to do this right, if its going to cost more then $1500 to rebuild the motor, then replacing the motor with a used one will seem much more attractive to me.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
If there isn't anything wrong with it and you take reasonbly good care of it then find something else to dwell on. The motor will keep on going. I doubt you'll hurt it on the street.

Motorcycle engines in street bikes don't normally die due to wearing out. The bikes are crashed, abused or abandoned long before a motor problem.
dudewhrsmybike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in