Mod - gutted Cat (anyone done it?) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Mod - gutted Cat (anyone done it?)

I'm curious about this mod - how much difference this mod made for you (seat of the pants or dyno testimony even better). Some claim this was the best mod they ever did.

Last edited by STurner; 08-03-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Not open ended enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't know what gen you have but a straight-through slip-on with no baffles or cat makes virtually no diff in power on a gen 1 (a couple hp). So removing the just the cat won't have any effect either. See:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx10r.htm

Green '04
post #3 of 15 Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

This is on my '08:
I cut out the cat's (there are 4 elements - 2 in each pipe before the merge) and rewelded the header back up (had it ceramic coated as well).
I haven't had it back on the dyno since it was tuned last but here are my observations:
I definitely had to tweak the mapping: I ran a half gal of 110 with 2 gal of 93 to get a baseline and it pulled liked it never had before (would run pretty fat with that mix previously). So, as the ratio of 110 to 93 lowered over the next couple of tanks I kept having to add fuel. Ended up adding almost 10% to the 80/100% throttle areas and 5-7% more fuel pretty much everywhere else in the map as well. So it definitely leaned it out...

The main reason I cut them out was heat: I didn't like the idea of the cats retaining heat especially since they are right under then oil pan. Cruising temps have dropped considerably and the time is takes for the temps to drop after sitting at a light has dropped as well. Some of this can probably be attributed to the ceramic coating though...

But for the hour a had invested and the $75 in coating it was definitely worth it. Hopefully I'll get her back on the dyno within the next couple of weeks.

Function
-------
Fashion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

How did you weld it? Is it stainless?

08 ZX-10r
06 KX250 pinger
07 YZ250f
05 SV650s wifes
post #5 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a gen 2 and you can knock out the elements of the cat with a hammer and solid object. I haven't noticed a huge power gain, the exhaust sounds a little deeper and louder, and backfires LOUD on decel from the 2000-3000rpm range

2007 Kawasaki zx-10r SE (sold)
2006 Kawasaki zx-6r 636 (stunt bike)
post #6 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lougots View Post
Don't know what gen you have but a straight-through slip-on with no baffles or cat makes virtually no diff in power on a gen 1 (a couple hp). So removing the just the cat won't have any effect either. See:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx10r.htm
I don't know why my own thread was resurrected - I asked if anyone had done this.

Well, I did it (completely gutted the sucker) and with all respect, you couldn't be more wrong. The cat gut was the best mod of all my Gen3 mods (listed below). Just dyno'd it today and acheived 173whp largely due to the cat gutting.

Two Brothers slip-on
Juice box fuel mgt
Cat completely gutted
Boom box bye-bye
Smog gone
Secondary flies gone
K&N filter
Healtech X-TRE
Renthal sprockets 16/43
Rifleman 1/5 throttle insert
Healtech speedohealer
post #7 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia2389 View Post
I have a gen 2 and you can knock out the elements of the cat with a hammer and solid object. I haven't noticed a huge power gain, the exhaust sounds a little deeper and louder, and backfires LOUD on decel from the 2000-3000rpm range
Mine was popping loud with the secondaries removed and had to add more fuel to get the air/fuel mix right.

Popping, per two brothers, can be a leak in your slip-on where air leaks into the heat of the exhaust. Mine was the air/fuel mix.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2010, 01:16 AM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

I gutted the cat on my first Gen 1. I really didn't notice any difference in the "seat of pants" dyno. My ears noticed a difference, especially the popping that started on deceleration after it was removed.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STurner View Post
Well, I did it (completely gutted the sucker) and with all respect, you couldn't be more wrong. The cat gut was the best mod of all my Gen3 mods (listed below). Just dyno'd it today and acheived 173whp largely due to the cat gutting.
Did you have to cut it and weld it back together, or were you able to do it all without cutting?

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #10 of 15 Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNetwork View Post
Did you have to cut it and weld it back together, or were you able to do it all without cutting?
I had it done at the local shop by a guy who knows how to do ream it out completely - no torching. He showed me the before, and the hard white crap is all the way up the headers. It's apparently not easy to do and took him 3 hours. At $48 labor it's still much cheaper than full exhaust :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in