Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

missing gears

802 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bkkninja 
#1 ·
any one knows what happens if any, when you miss gears or dont engage and feel as if it is in N ? between 3-4th it has happened like 4 x. i pre loaded the shifter ?
what is going on inside? how can it not engage from 2 nd and up.

#4 ·
Do you mean by preloading the shifter you are applying force before you shift or at the point of shifting, premature loading can wear the sides of the shift forks making the fork thinner and thus having to shift further to engage the next gear.

There is a significantly larger gap between the higher gears which requires more shift movement to engage and your foot has to travel quite a lot further to get proper engagement , this is typical of street bike gearboxes.

Nothing really happens as you are in between shifts and indeed in a false neutral, the problems occur when you apply to much force to the shift fork after the fact.

The linkages in the stock configuration have a lot of freeplay , this is amplified as you get to the foot end of your lever, a good cure is quality rearsets, you may also want to make sure that the shift arm (gearbox end) is tight on the splines and in its correct position.

#5 ·

i really dont apply alot of pre load pressure . light snap of the foot when i am ready to shift under hard accleration only (when it happens) ! and yes i have experienced that throw is longer to get it to engage in some gears.

my may concern is no gear or clutch (resort to clutch for engagement) damage .
running vortex rears and syn

it really only happens under hard straight away acceleration

maybe not enough let off of throttle too.

but man when it works just right , its butter

#6 ·
What I find is that when I changed my rearsets, shifting was so much smoother. Also I just think it a question of keeping positive pressure on the shifter when you preload for a shift. Do that and the second you roll off throttle, it just snicks into another gear. Real sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.