mechanics help.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

mechanics help....

Had to change two fuses in my bike from 10amps to 15 amps, one was the marker/brake lite fuse and the other was the head lite fuse. Fuses kept blowin only on 10amps.

So if it were your bike would you be concerned?

Just scared Im goin to screw up my wiring in my bike.

Thanks

Silly boys ninjas are for GIRLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Do not put bigger fuses in. You can burn wires like that. You have a wire or two with a short or a bad connection. This causes heat and resistance which blows the fuse. Trace these two systems down and really carefully check the wires and connections or take it in. Good luck.
post #3 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Something is causing excess current draw on those lines. Its probably not a good thing to leave alone. Might want to check over your wires and connectors. I have not experienced this on my bike personally, so I'll wait for others to chime in with more details. But definitely something to be concerned about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Even a high load circuit like the headlamp should be drawing less than 5 amps or so....I don't see any way that a properly functioning bike should be blowing 10 amp fuses. unless you have heated gloves, auxilliary 60w PIAA headlights, gps, and air horns all running on the same circuit, 10 amps should be enough.

I'd start looking for an intermittant short. They're hard to find...a good wiggle test will sometimes fix it forever.

---------------------------------------------------
If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet
---------------------------------------------------
There are 'glass half empty' people, and 'glass half full' people. Then there are engineers who see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

But the thing is, I have never had a issue with the fuses blowin until i put these new bulbs in, that are brighter, and when I put the stock bulbs back in she doesnt blow so you still think there is a short somewhere in the wires?

Last edited by red636girl; 12-02-2009 at 09:25 AM.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Even a high load circuit like the headlamp should be drawing less than 5 amps or so....I don't see any way that a properly functioning bike should be blowing 10 amp fuses. unless you have heated gloves, auxilliary 60w PIAA headlights, gps, and air horns all running on the same circuit, 10 amps should be enough.

I'd start looking for an intermittant short. They're hard to find...a good wiggle test will sometimes fix it forever.

The only other thing i have on her is a gear indicator and Im not really sure where that wire goes into

post #7 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
i'd double check all the bulbs to be sure they are correct,then check your wires/terminals at the connectors,may have pinched together when replacing bulbs(grabbing marker connectors w/pliers,ect.), also never up the amps...very dangerous...like stated only a short will blow a fuse...so retrace your steps......don't need to fine pile of ash instead of your bike good luck
Dan

ride or die!::weed :
post #8 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Are you sure you got the right bulbs? It's not blowing with the 15A fuses but is with the 10A? If it is a short I would think that the 15A would blow as well...although it's possible it wouldn't. And you also stated that when you put the stock back in and the 10A fuse in they don't blow then either. I'd check the ratings on the bulbs just to be safe. That would be the easiest and quickest fix...if it's right then start looking for a short or other cause.

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."

Last edited by themightymezzo; 12-02-2009 at 10:07 AM.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel10R View Post
like stated only a short will blow a fuse...
Dan
I may be mistaken but I believe overloading a fuse will blow it as well.

If you have a device that uses normally 10A, you want to install a larger fuse then that so you would install a 15A. However if you wanted to "beef up" said device to something that will use 20A you will burn/blow the fuse. But generally if you design a system that will run normally 10A and protect it with a 15A fuse, you will not size wires, etc. for the larger current/demand across that line. Which is why it's not a good idea to increase fuse size as previously stated in this thread.

"You can't trust anyone, not even your own asshole; sometimes you think you're gonna fart and you sh*t."
post #10 of 28 Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Im not sure what you mean the right bulbs....they are the right number H9 and H11, and others have order the same bulbs from this company and had no issues with there bike, the package says xenon Gas charged bulbs, 6000k. i got them from Star Lights

and yes when I put the 10amp back in with the stock bulbs no problems. Thats why I think it the bulbs, cause never had an issue and still dont until i put these new bulbs in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in