Matris Fork Cartridge - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Matris Fork Cartridge

I am thinking about buying a Matris fork cartridge kit for my 06 10r. I found this kit on sale for $600 with free shipping. Has anybody heard of these guys? What do you think? The look trick http://www.matrisdampers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
I looked into it myself. They are definitely prices right. But I went with a well know/used brand because I know there are people that have proven success with them. I could only find a few people that carried matris fork cartridges or even had them. When shopping for fork parts keep in mind who is going to do the work. Are you going to do it yourself or have them installed? Also does the person doing the work have experience with your product and can they help with setup and service. I would say look into Traxxion AK-20s. They are a little more but there are tons of people that have them and easy to find help for. Contact Superbike Supply as them gave me a great price when I was looking for them.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

I have there sterring damper M4R, Its top notch works great nothin leaking in a couple years i had it.
Got it from www.oncycles.com

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_zx View Post
I looked into it myself. They are definitely prices right. But I went with a well know/used brand because I know there are people that have proven success with them. I could only find a few people that carried matris fork cartridges or even had them. When shopping for fork parts keep in mind who is going to do the work. Are you going to do it yourself or have them installed? Also does the person doing the work have experience with your product and can they help with setup and service. I would say look into Traxxion AK-20s. They are a little more but there are tons of people that have them and easy to find help for. Contact Superbike Supply as them gave me a great price when I was looking for them.
You brought up some interesting topics that I need to think about. The price for the Matris is really hard to beat.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I 've never heard of these prior to this post. Due to the attractive price. I did a little research. I found a lot of references on various forums, but mostly there were only questions; no answers. I found a few bad mouthing them, but they didn't offer any real information. None really claimed to own, just that they heard they were no good.

I contacted a vendor selling these and asked several questions including available spring rates and valving options. Their response was "Per Matris the fork cartridge kit is set up for a medium sized person about 165-185lbs; we do not have the option of switching this out."

Based on this information I have eliminated these as an option. They sound like a nice product and the price is right, but with lack of knowledge and parts they could be an expensive paperweight.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
Yeah I was in the exact same boat. I liked the price of them but couldn't find anyone "really" using them. When I was searching all I could find were sellers unloadings these cartridges and no real talk of them being installed. I got lucky and scored some ohlins cartridges for cheap. But to the point fork servicing is straight forward for the most part. I have a write up I need to post on the topic. If you are not against spending $200ish on the right tools you can do an install yourself. Either way go with what you think will suit your needs and abilities best. Price sometimes can come back to bit you.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have decided that I am sending my stock forks out to be re-valved with an aftermarket spring. Based on my riding, mostly street 5-10 track days a year, this is the best option for me and cheapest (approx. $700). I have been told from numerous people that the handling characteristics of my bike will be drastically changed with having my stock forks reworked as I described.

O yeah, I 100% agree with you guys Matris has no buyer feedback whatsoever. It would definitely be a gamble to make this purchase.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to K7ZX10RGuy
Does anyone know how lnog this company has been around??

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

All this suspension talk is giving me the itch. I talked to the guy that I got my penske shock from last year and he can do the forks with penske internals installed for less than the matris deal, so I think I'm going that way. AK look nice, but $$$ are tight. I was also considering race tech DIY, but the money difference for labor to get penske done by someone that does this daily seems like good value.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

My Matris forks cartridges should be installed by next week latest on my 05 ZX10...

i have a track day coming up at Kyalami on the 31st of Jan...
i hope to have them installed by then, so then i will give some feedback afterwards...

will take me a few sessions to set them up nicely for my riding style, setting up the preload and damping, but im sure ill get it right during the day...

a buddy of mine has full matris front forks on his Suzuki 1000....
but that is his first bike so he cant really tell me any differences between stock and the Matris...
ill take his bike for some laps soon and will also give feedback...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in