lowering - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

lowering

I know someone probably already asked but, I want to lower the rear an inch. 2 questions 1: recommend a brand?
2: if I lower the rear an inch do I have to do anything to the front

ZX-10ESSEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL
I know someone probably already asked but, I want to lower the rear an inch. 2 questions 1: recommend a brand?
2: if I lower the rear an inch do I have to do anything to the front
I have 2 questions for you:

1. Why are you lowering (i.e drag strip/better height for you.etc.)?

2. What kind of riding do you do?

Oh, and Muzzy lowering links from Ryan Schnitz site(sponsor) should do the trick to lower in the rear and you get a 10percent discount for being a member.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
I have 2 questions for you:

1. Why are you lowering (i.e drag strip/better height for you.etc.)?

2. What kind of riding do you do?

Oh, and Muzzy lowering links from Ryan Schnitz site(sponsor) should do the trick to lower in the rear and you get a 10percent discount for being a member.
I just want a better height
no dragging here

ZX-10ESSEE

Last edited by VOL; 11-15-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL
I just want a better height
no dragging here
Ok, then you got the info on where to buy, and not an expert at all for the street setup and sure you will get others to chime in but I have read allot about this subject and from what I do know you will need to lower the front end as well. Get your lowering links first and read all you can about this subject, as far as how much in the front(which I believe in your case to be equal distance). I am also getting ready to buy adjustable links from Schnitz racing and so I could also sell you my dog bones cheap if your not in a hurry, they lower the rear 1" or 3"s, your choice
post #5 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks bluedevil! Ill do some more research and let you know. I'm in no hurry. I really don't want to screw up the handling too much

ZX-10ESSEE
post #6 of 19 Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I like these http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1
The bike will turn in much faster with the front end stock height and the rear lowered an inch.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

^^^I may be wrong, but I think it will be the opposite. With the rear lowered and the front at stock height, the bike won't turn as quick because it's kind of like a chopper. This will also cause the front end to push when accelerating out of corners.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Hmmm. When mine was 2 1/2" lowered in the rear and stock up front, it turned extremely fast. There is another thread on raising the front and leaving the stock height out back to get faster turn in. Same thing.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think that it's all in rider preference. I hated mine lowered but lowering it did what I needed it to " straight line stability and launch capability" But when riding hard and turning it wasn't too much fun. But I had mine slammed so results may be different with yours. I know some guys who swear by it and only ride their bikes lowered but they only drag race and the most riding other than that is riding to the race. But Try it out and see if you like it, it's easy to change back.

The only thing nessecary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

"sometimes in order to truly live life you must risk it."

You hit the lights, I hit the gas...

THERE ARE ONLY THREE SPEEDS, FAST, VERY FAST, AND OH SHIT!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1killer1liter
Hmmm. When mine was 2 1/2" lowered in the rear and stock up front, it turned extremely fast. There is another thread on raising the front and leaving the stock height out back to get faster turn in. Same thing.
Quote:
Well, lowering the rear will add trail, thus adding stability at the expense of steering quickness. Lowering the front will reduce trail, decreasing stability (but lowering CG, which is why drag racers do it). For maximum straight line stability, you'd theoretically want as much trail as you could get. I say theoretically because there's a lot of variables to balance.

As for tire swaps, some tires have a taller profile or aspect ratio than others, and some have rounder profiles than others. It all makes a difference. Taller in front gives you more trail (because it raises the front). Taller in back gets you less trail.

Racers typically decrease trail over stock by lowering the front end (raising the fork tubes in the clamps), raising the back end (less common), using a rear tire with a taller aspect ratio than stock, or some combination thereof. Of course, then you need a steering damper to stabilize the bike. Fancy rigs will have adjustable swingarm pivots (for changing anti-squat, etc.) and adjustable steering offset.

Another factor that affects front-end stability is the wear pattern on the front tire. A squared profile will have a natural oscillation frequency much lower than a round tire. The engineers will typically set up the bike so that the natural oscillation frequencies are high enough to be damped out naturally.

Sidewall stiffness also makes a big difference, just as underinflating the tires will destabilize the bike.

Sooooooo many variables. It's no wonder the top racers always bring their crew with them.

This is a quote from Captain Jack, a member here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in