Gen 2: 2006-2007 It lives.... (running build thread) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 142 Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Talking It lives.... (running supercharger build thread)

First off, I wanted to post all this up once I had it all finished... but I'm just too stoked that it's finally coming all together after so many years. A little back story: Several years ago I got ripped off by a POS named Jason Keats for a supercharger kit while I was still overseas. I tried to salvage what I could from the pile of garbage he sent me, but ended up scrapping every single piece but the fuel pump. It was my first stab at anything forced induction, and I ended up going through college to learn how to weld, machine, and CAD design parts all in the pursuit of getting it done. Went through 2 major moves, a frozen/cracked head, 4 jobs, one heinous ex-wife, and a new baby (recently) to help delay it all from working. In short, it's been the albatross in my fucking garage for over 4 years. But today I got the first baseline pulls and have The Plan on where to go from here.

Last pic was just a cool shot we took of the shop the night we got the airbox done... we both sat back and just kinda laughed about the range of crap we had up atm. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	391176_3756456183205_1950268152_n.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	163791   Click image for larger version

Name:	181183_3817520349771_134765525_n.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	163792  
Attached Images

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-21-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

A stock Gen 3 made mid 140 hp on the same dyno (144 IIRC). This run was at 106 degree air temp and 28% humidity. 5psi of boost on a pretty much stock bike (A&R baffles & -1/+0 gearing). I have a little belt slippage or a small boost leak to figure out, as it should be making around 8-9psi with this pulley combo.... but that's what prototyping is all about I guess; figuring out the little things. :) The plan is to run 8-10psi on this motor, then run 15-16psi on a slightly built motor I have in the garage when the funds become available. Everything is pretty much hand built or shaped: No production quality parts yet. When everything gets perfect I'll go back and make the brackets/pulleys all pretty, but right now it's all about making it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC ZX10R 5psi.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	163793  

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-23-2012 at 11:31 AM.
post #3 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Damn, sorry about the issues you've dealt with, I can definitely relate to a few of them!
But nice job on the 10! Them are some pretty nice numbers! Do you remember what the stock gen 3 put down for torque for comparison purposes? And when are you making a .net priced kit? :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Jah
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Jah Send a message via MSN to Jah Send a message via Yahoo to Jah
u went to school for welding or to be a nasa engineer...cause nothing u said sounded like welding...sounded more like nasa isht..

and on another note...your funny.

and another note.

DOPE!!! keep this thread up to date.

post #5 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Man, it feels like NASA shit some days... I tell you what.

Don't know the TQ numbers off the top of my head, but a rough calc would say high 50's to low-mid 60's with that hp depending on where it made peak TQ.

.......and this was such a PITA that I will never build a kit for other people. Ever. Not on this bike. No one should have to suffer the sort of headaches I did to get this to work right. I could/would if I used the smaller C15-60 charger, but making the C30-74 fit required just about everything but the exhaust to be hacked/modified/moved. I'll turbocharge one before I do this again.

But the way it makes power IS pretty cool. I can't wait to get it all ironed out and turned up some more. Next step is to fix the outboard bearing support (fucked it up @ about midnight last night in the mad rush to get it ready for today), and switch over to a cog belt style pulley system. I'm going to do some boost leak testing just to be sure on some things, and my artist friend wants to go apeshit with a paintjob while I have it apart..... we were thinking some HR Giger styled bio-mechanical nonsense would fit the bill. :)

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 07-23-2012 at 01:01 AM.
post #6 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ummm...drool! I know you said you'd never build another, but dang bro, when you build some for us gen 2 guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #7 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

When I'm done I'll happily tell you everything you have to get it done and make parts at cost for ya..... but there is so much fitting and fab work that goes into it all that it makes it impossible to just sell a bolt on kit. Well, at least for any reasonable price or time-frame. If there were enough orders it could be done, but I think the volume would be higher than the number of lunatic 2nd gen owners currently out there riding. Most people would be happier with a turbo set-up anyway; they feel a lot faster for the same given boost level. But it is neat how it will start to pick up the front tire at the end of a roll-on @ 10K rpm in 4th gear. It just makes more and more and more thrust without ever letting up. It's so creepy/smooth that it actually feels pretty normal up 'till about 10K (in any gear above 2nd), then it just gets, well, "angrier" for a lack of a better word. Haven't had enough room to really explore how stupid it really gets.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-21-2013 at 09:32 AM.
post #8 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

man, I am seriously happy for you that this all worked out. With all the stuff youve taught me (good person points), and all the things you went through for it, you deserve to have it. It looks absolutely awesome and you did an incredible job on this. Major props on this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #9 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
GEN II Driver

Posting Frequency

awesome persistence through all the adversity, rep sent...

MDCCLXXV
post #10 of 142 Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

First off.. Good to hear some things are coming together on the positive side for ya.

Now Jason Keats... He used to post up on suzukihayabusa.org. A local guy here in Jacksonville bought one of his kits. I never met him or seen his bike on the road but heard it had fueling issues.

Jason could not give me one reference when I was ready to buy one of his kits but sure could give me a deal if I sent him a deposit! that was almost six years ago. I had a bad feeling and passed.

Looks like a fun ride and nice to see a different type of build -good luck with your project.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in