List of potential mods? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

List of potential mods?

I have on 05, rebuilding it over the winter after the PO dumped it so here is what I've found on the forum as far as best mods......

1) Nissin ZX14 calipers from any year 14? (Ebay for $125?)
2) 636 front MC Any year 636?(Ebay under $40)
3) Steel Braided lines (Galfer)
4) ASV C5 Levers
5) 1/5 turn throttle
6) TRE
7) Remove secondary butterflies
8) Aftermarket air filter
9) Full Ti-exhaust
10) Steering Damper
11) Smog Emission block off
12) 520 chain with +1/-2
13) Speedo Healer
14) Servo fix so no FI light

So here are my questions regarding the brakes though. Both the 14 calipers and the MC are direct bolt ons, correct?

And when I do put them on, when it comes to the brake lines, which ones do I order? I'm assuming just ZX10R lines and same for the ASV brake lever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just wondering. How much $ is in the budget for the winter upgrades?

What type of riding do you do?
post #3 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN10 View Post
Just wondering. How much $ is in the budget for the winter upgrades?

What type of riding do you do?
I'll actually spread the cost out over the next year, brakes though are paramount as it needs to be ready for the spring. And I do "spirited" street riding and use an RC51 for a track bike, if that answers your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh, and the ZX10 WILL make it to the track to see what it can do, or rather, what I can do on it
post #5 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctracer51 View Post
I have on 05, rebuilding it over the winter after the PO dumped it so here is what I've found on the forum as far as best mods......

1) Nissin ZX14 calipers from any year 14? (Ebay for $125?) That's a hell of a deal if you can get them for that. Keep in mind ZX6 calipers are the same from 2007+
2) 636 front MC Any year 636?(Ebay under $40) You would want the 05+ 636 master or 07+ zx6 master, the 03-04 636's aren't radial pump just like the stock first gen zx10's
3) Steel Braided lines (Galfer) Wise idea, as to ordering, get the 06-07 zx10 lines, they are the same length (or close) but fit the radial master better.
4) ASV C5 Levers If that's your favorite, but there are some other priorities to do first
5) 1/5 turn throttle Awesome bang for the buck, I love mine, but there are a lot of people who prefer the easier modulation and the stock turn
6) TRE I don't have a TRE, though some people say if you remove the flies it's not neccessary on first gens
7) Remove secondary butterflies BEST FREE MOD EVAR - though it is kinda like the 1/5 turn, some people prefer the power smoothing effect it has
8) Aftermarket air filter I did put a BMC in my bike, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have. My engine isn't hurt yet, but there's not a real noticable difference between oem and aftermarket (that's why pretty much all the maps say "sotck or aftermarket air filter")
9) Full Ti-exhaust I commented on this in your exhaust thread
10) Steering Damper Another one way up on the list. I know it made me a lot more confident. GPR's are great for the money, but I got a killer deal on a Scott's (IMO the best you can get)
11) Smog Emission block off I'm cheap, so I wouldn't buy block off plates, there's a how to (I think by TN10R - thanks) for just blocking them almost for free (it's on a 08, but it's pretty similar)
12) 520 chain with +1/-2 :gets on high horse: A 520 really isn't the best idea unless it's a pretty dedicated track bike. I understand the lighter weight, reciprocating mass, all that. However, that's a little chain for a bike making this kind of power, and the benefit really isn't that much. :gets off horse: As for the gearing, I think you meant -1 +2. I like my stock gearing, but if I were to do anything, it would be just -1. That's all personal preference though.
13) Speedo Healer With as much gearing change as you were talking about this would be a good idea.
14) Servo fix so no FI light I commented on this in the exhaust thread. It's nice to have the space and get rid of the servo motor, but for $100 I'd rather leave the servo motor in there with the cables disconnected. It's all the same as far as the FI light is concerned.

So here are my questions regarding the brakes though. Both the 14 calipers and the MC are direct bolt ons, correct?

Yeah, the Kawi brakes are direct bolt on. I think they all have the same brake light switch and everything. The CBR swap is what needs extra parts. As I previously stated, I'm cheap, so I did the CBR swap and got some spacers, then ground the spacers down.

And when I do put them on, when it comes to the brake lines, which ones do I order? I'm assuming just ZX10R lines and same for the ASV brake lever?

I answered the lines question above. The ASV's you'll probably need to go by whatever model and year master you end up with, then the stock clutch side. I would be suprised if the levers are all that different from Kawi to Kawi, but to be sure I would just order each side independently.
Answers above in RED
post #6 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

To answer your question you typically order the lines for the 10R...I have done the ZX14 caliper swap and have the Galfer SBK lines...Yes they are direct bolt on...The lever you will have to order for the bike you got it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #7 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Great help guys. Thanks for the input. From the sounds of it, I can save my money by going with the stock air filter, stock chain, and just disconnecting the servo. That money will go into the exhaust fund! And yea, I got the gearing mixed up, you knew what I meant!!
post #8 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories

These are the ones I was looking at
post #9 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

FYI I'm pretty sure that the rear caliper isn't a direct bolt on, that's why we all still have the stock rear. It's a pretty good price and since you posted it I would go ahead and get it before someone else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #10 of 18 Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

hahah Good point!! I wasn't planning on doing the rear though, as the rear brake is largely unused unless I'm at a stop on a hill! It just happened to be part of the deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in