Laptimer holder installation - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Laptimer holder installation

I recently bought one of these holders for my Ultra lap timer:

Installation instructions say to "place the holder over the fork leg". Well, my fork legs are flush with the top of the top triple like this:

so there's nothing to slide it over. Since the holder does not come apart, but only has the one place to tighten I would have to take the triple tree off to install, which as far as I can see involves taking the key/ignition barrel off also.

Is there something I'm overlooking or is that really how it's supposed to be done?
This is mostly a street bike so I was not planning to run with the holder in place all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok pal, you should send it to me and I will fiqure it out for you.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Bump - anyone have any info?
Oh, and Kawiiii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
There are two options.

1)
You can remove the top triple clamp and try to get this under it. But I do not htink that will work. I have an 06 and try this but was not able to clear cables and the like to have full lock steering. There was to much binding for my comfort. But you can always try. Also you do not have to remove the ignition to remove the top triple. All you have to do is remove the top big steering stem nut. The you have to losen the four bolts on the fork clamps. Then off it comes.

or

2)
You can do like I did. Here is a pic

The clamp I am using is a 50mm but I lined it with vinyl tube to make up the slack. I have used this mounting system for the past 6 track days with no problems. there is no binding at full lock in either direction. Also the display is easy to see.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 PM

Posting Frequency

I asked about this last year when I installed a VEYPOR computer on my bike. I loosened both sides of the top triple clamp around the fork tubes so they stuck out 5mm above the triple clamp. I asked everyone what change it would make in my steering geometry. All answers said that it would affect things very little. I did it just before a track day and I could feel that my 05 fell into turns just a hair quicker and was slightly harder for me to keep steady when laid over. It felt better than stock. I wish I could remember the thread. I'll try searching tomorrow to see where the thread is.

The only problem is that you HAVE to get both fork tubes exactly the same distance above the triple clamp. I used my old trusty vernier calipers.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

green - I'll look into mounting the way you have - it may work, but the outside of the ignition is kinda tapered so I'm not sure how securely it would mount. Maybe it won't matter once it's clamped down. Good idea.

Johnson_howard - I would have to slide the fork tubes up about 6-7 mm be able to mount this. I think that would make a pretty big difference and I'm not sure I want to mess with the geometry of the bike for the sake of mounting a holder. But I may try that out though. Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to green_zx
Clausiam, yes it is tapered but just us some IIRC 1/8" clear vinyl. Split it down the middle and then wrap it around the inside of the lap timer holder. This will act as a liner and fill the gap as the ignition ring is smaller than 50mm. Once clamped down tight and center on the flat part of the ring it will not go anywhere.

Another problem with sliding the fork tubes out is it will throw off your front end. If you read the manual stock position for the front forks is about flush. If you change that it can have negative effects. I lowered my forks a little at one time and it made the bike dive a little and turn slower. Now that I have the set where they feel good on the track I have not room to mount them on top of the triple.

Last edited by green_zx; 04-12-2008 at 06:54 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2008, 03:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I like your kawasaki issue screwdriver rack green!

Once i thought more than two strokes was masturbation. Now I realise that 4 feel better, and who am I to argue with my feelings.

05 Black/white road/track zx-10r. Race fairings with stock headlight custom blinkers, Brembo MC, HEL braided lines, Toby dampner, Mustard Block-off plates, plugged airbox, Mustard Heel guards, Mustard Ram-air tube support, custom flip-up rear fender eliminator, custom rear fender, custom seat cowl, corsa 111's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in