knocking noise after replacing clutch basket - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

knocking noise after replacing clutch basket

Well my clutch basket took a shit so I took it out and fired off just for a second to make sure motor was fine and it was ran great, so I went ahead and got new basket and clutchs and instaled them, well now there is a loud knocking coming from clutch cover area, I have takenapart over and over and can't figure it out I tried searchcouldnt find anything simillar anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped I kno with basket out it doesn't drive oil pump I only ran it for a second, motor runs great I'm guessing something else happened when basket took a crap or I dk I'm stumped any he'll be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Cycle Concepts
did you grenade the basket and throw alot of debris around in the motor? take a very long, hard and detailed look at the crank gear to be sure that it's not chipped or has any embedded debris in the gear...this will make it knock...i've seen them where the noise will come and go...
post #3 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have heard a few people telling me that im gonna spend my hour lunch break examinig the crank gear i will post what i find and other suggestions are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Did find a tingy piece of trash in crank gear gonna clean it up later will post results
post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I hope the trash in the gear was your problem..good luck!!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

if you look on the clutch cover, there is a small three inch groove on the inside of the cover, if it looks like its shinny, it might be rubbing there....what i did was dremel it wider and my noise went away, mine did it when i got a different clutch..
post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This doesn't have anything to do with your noise, but your going to want to drain the oil and clean out the oil pick up tube. When my clutch basket broke I had a TON of stuff in the pickup
post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I did drop pan first thing and removed pickup and cleaned evrything possible i still havnt had time to remove basket and ckean up crank gear yet hopefully tommorrow if not monday riding my other bike tommorrow mornig on a trip back from corpus to south houston drove down riding back will post with results but im hoping that fixes it
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

i got the little knick outta the crank gear last night cleaned it up good and reinstalled basket and clutch, fired it up and was amazed it was fixed, i am shocked that the little knick cause the noises it was making its crazy, but am very happy its gone, i got to take it for a spin last night, thanks everyone for the advice
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin07 View Post
i got the little knick outta the crank gear last night cleaned it up good and reinstalled basket and clutch, fired it up and was amazed it was fixed, i am shocked that the little knick cause the noises it was making its crazy, but am very happy its gone, i got to take it for a spin last night, thanks everyone for the advice
Glad we could help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in