KLEEN...ok I'm a dummy - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-26-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

KLEEN...ok I'm a dummy

Forgive my ignorance...this on-going debate is quite interesting...but what I'm hazy on is what creates the vacuum (that everybody wants to either block off or route to the crankcase)? What is in there actually creating suction? Mini-me with a Hoover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-26-2004, 04:10 PM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It works like a carb. The vacuum is created by the piston going down in the cylinder. Air is sucked through the reed valves into the exhuast manifold. This is to help burn fuel that escaped combustion.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Not quite. The KLEEN system is their name for it ... everyone else calls it an "air injection" system.

Whenever there is an exhaust stroke, there is a strong pressure wave sent down the exhaust pipe that gets the column of air in the exhaust pipe moving, followed by a strong negative pressure wave when the exhaust stroke stops, and this happens in each of the four header pipes on every exhaust stroke. Within the cylinder head, there is a reed valve for each cylinder that only lets air IN during that negative pressure pulse. The extra air helps the catalyst burn off the nasty carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. This system allows the engine to run slightly rich (for more power) without as much nasty stuff coming out the tailpipe.

I don't get why people disconnect this system. It doesn't cost any horsepower, it doesn't affect the way the engine runs, and it helps keep the air you breathe cleaner ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
I don't get why people disconnect this system. It doesn't cost any horsepower, it doesn't affect the way the engine runs, and it helps keep the air you breathe cleaner ...
I did to make dyno tuning easier, and to seal the airbox.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

So I guess you have to suck it from the airbox and not just an open pipe because you don't want crap crudding up the reed valve?

If you hook this up to the crankcase then won't you be crudding up that reed valve with crankcase fumes?
post #6 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 04:18 PM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket
So I guess you have to suck it from the airbox and not just an open pipe because you don't want crap crudding up the reed valve?

If you hook this up to the crankcase then won't you be crudding up that reed valve with crankcase fumes?
When the crankcase breather hose is connected to the airbox there is very little if any suction. The heated vapor from the engine migrates into the airbox from the pressure that builds up inside the engine. That hot vapor mixes with the fresh air, and gets drawn into the combustion chamber. The air suction system when hooked up draws from the same air, but the crankcase vapor is well diluted from the fresh air.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 04:24 PM

Posting Frequency

Isnt hot air in your air box the last thing you want? I've always heard that cold air produces more hp, hence cold air intakes.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Unless your engine has major leakdown, the amount of crankcase air being recirculated is insignificant. If your engine has major leakdown, then the best way to get the power back is to fix the source of the major leakdown!

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 05:33 PM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyoz
Isnt hot air in your air box the last thing you want? I've always heard that cold air produces more hp, hence cold air intakes.
Exactly...... That's why I plan to seal all the holes into the airbox except the actual intake from the air filter. You then take the crankcase breather hose and put a filter on it, or directly on the crankcase breather port. This should be good for 1 to 3 hp do to cooler air. It's not much, but if you are like me everything counts. I plan to put a thin head gasket in. So the cooler the better. Maybe we should put chunks of dry ice in the airbox.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
at -109 degrees F(or -78.5 deg. C) that would be nice, Except that it's solid carbon dioxide, and as a gas has 800 time the volume than the same weight as a solid. that wouldn't leave too much room for our friend, O2, me thinks. Anybody got any solid oxygen kickin' around? :-) Oh wait, solid O2 is just cold nitrous without the N, Damn it! there goes my good idea for the day. Back to the 'coonass engineering' drawing table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in