K&N filter OUTTA there! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

K&N filter OUTTA there!

Looks like the K&N filter plugged up AGAIN ... I'm back to stock, sick of fiddling with this thing. I know you can clean them, but having to do it every oil change ... ! ? !

Background. Stock filter was in there until first major service at 23,000 km and never caused any trouble. I got talked into a K&N filter for the usual reasons. Around 8,000 km later, I started noticing a drop-off in top end power, and after a little bit more time to figure out what the problem was, I determined that the filter was clogged (around 32,000 km). I cleaned it and put it back in. Now, around 37,000 km, the drop-off in top-end power started happening again - first noticed it last night. Today I bought a stock air filter and that's what's in there now. The K&N doesn't look *quite* as dirty as it did last time around, but last time it took a bit of time to figure out what the problem was.

Why do they clog so fast? We have a lot of bugs and sandy roads around here, which doesn't help, particularly at this time of year. But also, before putting the stock filter in, I did a little comparison.

The K&N filter has 23 pleats, counting from one side to the other. The stocker has 67. And the depth of the pleats on the stocker is at least a third deeper. The stock filter has 4 times as much filter element area ... Granted, a lot of the stock pleats are so close together that air might have a tough time getting in between, but still.

No test ride yet ... changing the filter was a one-beer job, and we don't ride for a wee bit after that!

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!

Last edited by GoFaster; 05-24-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: fix booboo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Posting Frequency

BMC all the way sucka !!!!!!
post #3 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfasterr View Post
BMC all the way sucka !!!!!!
BMC race filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

How many pleats side to side, and what's the depth of the filter element?

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Used k&n since I was a kid iback n my dirtbike days. Also in my old mustang and even one in the 10r right now- got it (k&n) cheap.

Having said that-
The BMC does look to be a better piece. The design is much closer to the stock plastic filter housing rather than the k&n slip in, blade type design.

BMC probably does have deeper pleats like stock.
Not sure about using the race version on dusty nasty roads but the street version, just to be able to clean it, might be worth a look.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Posting Frequency

If changing the filter is only a one beer job what is the issue?

If the filter is gunking up
Its not letting all that dust bugs into the motor
Doing its job.

Are you using too much oil? You do not saturate the filter. You oil it and let the oil soak into the rest of the cloth. I have never had any problems of this sort with KN on any bike or car.

Granted i think the power gains are over exagerated but the re-use is nice.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a K&N in mine and I haven't had any problems and although I know some here have complained about it, the fit is nice and snug on mine. It has done a great job in filtering the incoming air as the area before the filter is dusty with dead bugs and other debris. The inside of the airbox after the filter is squeaky clean. I also have a BMC race filter for my R1, and am also very pleased with it. The quality between the two are very close, but I'd probably buy BMC over K&N, primarily because the sides surrounding the filter element feel a little sturdier.

I can't imagine that the filter could be so saturated with dirt that it would in effect choke the engine of high rpm horsepower that it could be felt from the rider's seat. Let us know if the stock filter improves the situation. The K&N in my S2000 is almost black after 50,000 miles and it still pulls cleanly on top. I am just too lazy to work on the car with my bike projects.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Posting Frequency

Additionally I think top end may be the area least effected as the air is "blasted" with force. Seems low end would suffer from lack of pressure due to no air.

If your KN is backed up with bugs, a OEM will catch them just the same and plug up with bugs and dirt........if it don't plug up then its allowing the dirt into the motor.........plug up is good!!!
post #9 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to K7ZX10RGuy
A friend of mine works for K&N and got me the filter for my '07 10R for just $20. Although, I was pleased with the price, I wasn't really pleased with the quality of fit. The Stocker is a nice peice and if the BMC has a frame like the stocker, I will be buying one when this K&N cloggs up

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Last edited by K7ZX10RGuy; 05-24-2007 at 04:14 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-24-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06450F View Post
If your KN is backed up with bugs, a OEM will catch them just the same and plug up with bugs and dirt........if it don't plug up then its allowing the dirt into the motor.........plug up is good!!!
That's true, but with 4 times as much area of the filter element, the stocker will take that much longer before it's buggered, and it will probably have less pressure drop than the K&N through most of its useful life, after the K&N has even slight dirt loading on it.

Part of the problem is this specific application. The ZX10R filter has very little "frontal area" considering the power of the engine (which is practically in direct proportion to the amount of air it draws in). I had a K&N filter in my previous car, too, and it never caused problems, but that filter was probably 5 times more filtering area for an engine with less power than this one!!

The comment about part load operation being affected might be true. I've noticed for the last couple weeks that something wasn't quite right but I couldn't put my finger on it until yesterday. I'm going out for a ride tonight; that should confirm whether this was the real problem ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in