Just mounted Q2's on my friends '03 636, steering effort VERY high now =( - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just mounted Q2's on my friends '03 636, steering effort VERY high now =(

Not sure what's up, but feels like I'm countersteering VERY hard just to get the thing to turn, then it just wants to fall. Then I have to countersteer back the other way to keep it from falling in too quick. Anyone else have issues with the Q2's turn in?

Keep in mind I went from a 120/65/17 stock to a 120/70/17. Kept the 180/55/17 size mounted on the rear. Rode it, and felt like poo, so dropped the forks about 8mm and took it back out and still felt like poo. Not getting it! A larger front tire would normally make it turn slower with more rake, but dropping the forks should have remedied that.

Last edited by speedgsx98; 08-27-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
PJD
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think you dropped the forks too much.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
the 120/65 to 120/70 swap will honestly make about ZERO handling difference from what i have experienced on riding the 03-06 zx6r..
The 1st question you have to ask yourself is, what brand tire did you have on before?
what is the shape of the tire (total circumfrence front & rear)?
was the bike set-up for this specific tire, raised rear/front dropped front/rear?
have you measured the front rake of the bike?

8mm drop in the front end is a pretty noticeable difference, for just the swap i would not have changed anything just rode it, then adjusted from there.
Now taking into consideration of the tires charecteristics, this 8mm drop and the qualifier shape, you may have this drop in feeling....ride some pirelli super corsa's or other race type tires and they are built for corners not cruising around the block, so the drop in is totally normal.

try getting the bike back to stock ride height, check your sag, measure your rake and then adjust from there...typically i rather raise the rear end up a few mm before dropping the forks, or do a bit of both to get the desired effect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I didn't drop the front initially. I test rode it after mounting the tires, and it felt like such crap that I then decided to drop it a fair amount so I could tell a difference. Really didn't notice anyimprovement after dropping it either.

Problem is I rode the bike once several months ago, so I'm comparing it to my '08 10R, but I don't remember it feeling hard to steer then. Riding my 10r just after riding the 636 with the new tires...it felt much eaasier to turn thatn the 636.

I used to have a 2002 GSXR 1000 a few months back and when I would go back and forth between those 2 bikes, the difference in steering effort was nigh/day. I think I need to get my friends bike(the 636) back and ride it again. I used to work on motorcycles for a living. I'll try loosening the axle and retightening in case something is binding...that's all I can think. I'll prob raise the front back up some too.

Maybe the profile of the tires is just funky though? I know new tires don't feel as twitchy as older tires because of the perfect profile when new. They don't tip into the lean as easy. Strange =(
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to jdgun_13
Somewhere along the way you totally threw off the whole geometery of the bike.
The swap from a 120/65 to a 120/70 is not even noticable to 99% of riders.

take it to someone who can set your suspension up for you, as obviously didnt do anything in the last line i put to get the bike sorted...start from a base and work from there.
that 636 you have is a damn scalpel and should take almost no effort to get it to do what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in