Just curious, who's runnin Shell Rotella T here? How long till u went full synthetic? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

At what mileage did u go full synthetic?

How many miles till u went synthetic on ur ZX-10R?

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 11-12-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I always change to synthetic at 1,000 miles max. If the bike is broken in properly, with enough load put on the motor, that's plenty of miles. I would NOT use a heavier weight than recommended by the factory. I use factory oil filters and Motul synthetic oil. On an $11,000 bike, I'm NOT gonna try to save a couple of bucks by using a $2 oil filter and car oil. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-14-2004, 08:23 PM

Posting Frequency

i havent changed the oil in the 10 yet, maybe cause it has 26 miles on it (drove it home from the dear and its been sitting for 2 months now)

however i did change to rotella t on my 03 cobra at 6k miles. while i agree running ur engine hard to seat the ring is a good thing, (i had my cobra at the drag strip the second night i had it). i know for a fact the rings dont fully seat till about 5k miles, i did a compression test on my motor at 3k when i changed the oil and got 165-175 which was about average for 03 cobras but some were reporting alittle higher so i put dyno oil back in and drove it for 3 k more, same thing at 6 k miles and my compression was 178-185 for all 8 cyl, which is on the high side for my car and very good, i then switched to synthetic and wont be looking back.

so theres alittle proof that ur rings arent done "breaking in" right away. we all know rings require " a little" friction to break in, and i think its better safe than sorry, u can always change ur dyno oil more often if your worried about it.

Last edited by projekZERO; 11-14-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2004, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Did u go synthetic at 6k with the stang?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Why haven't you ridden the 10?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to crispin
[QUOTE=projekZERO]i havent changed the oil in the 10 yet, maybe cause it has 26 miles on it (drove it home from the dear and its been sitting for 2 months now)

Ummmm....

Ride that bitch!

What are you doing????
post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Posting Frequency

i bought the 10 in dallas tx. but i moved to cali about the same time. i was trying to get the deal done soon enough to bring the 10 to cali with me but i didnt sell my R6 till the day before the move so i didnt get the 10 in time. i flew back to dallas to pick up my cobra and while i was there i finished signing the papers and rode the 10 to my dads house in dallas where it has been sitting ever since. my dads coming to cali for christmas to visit, and he is bringing the 10 in his truck, so i cant wait.

my friend who sold me the bike has been doing all my mods for me while its been sitting there. devil high mount, cowl, euros, hotbodies undertail. z1000 front sprocket. adjustable lowering links, and soon hopefuly a screen and damper. i cant wait to see what it looks like now. and the thing pulls in 4th like the r6 did in 2nd (yeah i broke it in mototune style the way home) =)

yes i put shell rotella T synthetic in the cobra at 6k miles 5w40 and im not sayin synthetic will cause poor ring break in. but i was simply pointing out my rings were not fully broke in at my first oil change (3k miles)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-17-2004, 09:07 PM

Posting Frequency

Damn I cant beleive you havent been riding, where in cali did you move to?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-17-2004, 09:15 PM

Posting Frequency

lancaster/palmdale, my gurl's movin out here too she has a 04 r6 just like the one i sold. my dads bringin both our bike to cali christmas. and ill get to see my gurl. man its been 2 months with no bike and no sex......you guys feel sorry for me yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in