Gen 1: 2004-2005 jumping out of gear? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

jumping out of gear?

Im lost with this i was at the track last weekend and my bike was jumping to neutral, I was geared 17\47 but when i put my 16\45 back on it dont do it.

I was street riding and it never jumped out of gear not one time, I started in 1st to 6th gear didnt jump out not one time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Gun it and see if it does it. When it jumps back into neutral from 2nd like that it means ur transmission is going
post #3 of 29 Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat10R View Post
Gun it and see if it does it. When it jumps back into neutral from 2nd like that it means ur transmission is going
My Gen 2 is starting to do this, not very often though. Normally when i gun it in first, clutchless shift into 2nd, then gun it again. It picks up, then drops out, making me bounce the limiter in neutral.....

And its normally when warming up (not from cold though, after a slow ride out the streets onto the highway, and after warming up on the driveway til the temp starts reading more then 50deg Celsius.)

Doesnt happen everytime. And when powering on in 2nd, It doesnt happen. Just when shifting from 1st to 2nd. With or without the clutch. You reckon thats the transmission too? Is it gonna be an expensive repair/replace? or is it game over for the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 AM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Its not game over for the bike, but it will be expensive if a shop does it. It sounds like the dog legs in the gear are wearing down and its causing it to pop out
post #5 of 29 Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

As BigCat said your transmission may be going out. One other CHEAP thing to try first is adjust your shift lever down a little bit. You might be doing lazy shifts and the gears arent engaging all the way and popping out. I had this issue with my Gen 1 and adjusting the shifter eliminated the problem.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Yea if u lazy shift and aren't engaging the gears all the way it'll wear the dog legs out and then it will wear them down too much and itll never full engage and will always pop out
post #7 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I did just play with my ajustments i just done my tranny last year its not that hard of a job if you dont mind working on your bike.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 01:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

GP shift for drag racing eliminates all the lazy shifts.....I may never go back to conventional shifing again
post #9 of 29 Old 11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

im having this same issue on my bike .. i adjusted the shifter lower and it still jump it's driving me crazy.. i got a used tranny from ebay waiting for it on the mail to change it... i was wondering when i do open the motor to change the tranny is there something in particular i should be looking for in the gears to make sure thats were the problem is?
post #10 of 29 Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOoNpR View Post
im having this same issue on my bike .. i adjusted the shifter lower and it still jump it's driving me crazy.. i got a used tranny from ebay waiting for it on the mail to change it... i was wondering when i do open the motor to change the tranny is there something in particular i should be looking for in the gears to make sure thats were the problem is?
When you look at your gears start with first which is the biggest gear and should be fine. Look at the next gear on the shaft which is 2nd. There are windows in the middle of the gear. To the left and right side of the window is where the dogs catch the gear when you shift. When the edges are kind of rounded off that's why it will jump out of gear. It should be a straight edge. But if its bad you will be able to see the marks of where it's rounded off.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in