issues - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

issues

hey guys and gals,

Friday I rode into work no probs. when out at lunch to get a inspection sticker, started the bike proceed to gear up wile letting the bike warm up. after about 20sec. of the bike running it just shut off (stoped running) instrument cluster was on.. I restarted the bike had to give a little throttle.. so I let it run for a good minute before leaving the parking lot. I went up the road waited for 40min in line to get a sticker.. no problems.. when back to work changed the oil. The bike sat for 3 hours without running. I started her up no prob, idled no prob. so I said huh.. must have been bug or something. so I left work about 4ish when to my old ladies work had to do a few things there, after about 1 hour went to leave. I tried to start the bike it cranked for a sec then acted like the battery was dead. So I push started it down the driveway got her running and rode home about 15 min ride. I got home parked it in the driveway shut it off and restarted no prob. let sit for a hour when and started no prob. when out today started it up.. not prob again..

am I crazy?? anyone else have anything like this happen?

I checked the battery connections and they look good checked to starter connections they also are good??? :headshake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It could be four things, the OEM kill-switch is malfunctioning, the drop sensor, or your kickstand sensor is malfunctioning, or it could be a operator malfunction >_<.

Killswitch

Tip over Sensor

Kickstand Sensor

Operator Error

Last edited by WhackyWheels; 06-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

So I am sitting here on a Sunday morning with my usual starbucks coffee (made at home) and reading posts and see Wacky's pic and as I see that last pic cracking up while I am sipping on hot coffee....

Well lets say hot coffee coming out of your nose kinda gave me some other issues now.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the reply wacky.. but its none of that..

after posting this I went out for a ride. got about 10 min from my house and the bike started to cut out on me. I looked down at the I.C. and it was dead. I pulled in the clutch and she shut off with no chance of a restart.. luckily my wife's father owns a tow company and I got myself a free tow job..
What I'm thinking is either the stator or the voltage reg. shit the bed.. this happened to me on my 02 zx6r.
If anyone can point me in the direction of how to test these two items that would be great. Or if there is a service manual online that I can view to diag. this that would be great too.. any help at this point would be awesome

Thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

(slaps himself in the head) found the manual. and found the diag steps.. page 538 hopefully I can get it diaged on Monday if wifey doesn't go into labor by then..
looking at the testing procedure it say that I need a special tool. hand tester 57001-1394 "MULTIMETER" does anyone know what this is? is it just a regular multimeter? or is it really a special tool? I searched it and of course it doesnt show a picture of it.

Last edited by Ians10; 06-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

stator, rectifier or battery
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ians10 View Post
(slaps himself in the head) found the manual. and found the diag steps.. page 538 hopefully I can get it diaged on Monday if wifey doesn't go into labor by then..
looking at the testing procedure it say that I need a special tool. hand tester 57001-1394 "MULTIMETER" does anyone know what this is? is it just a regular multimeter? or is it really a special tool? I searched it and of course it doesnt show a picture of it.
It's a 12v DC negative ground system. You don't need a "special tool" to check it. Any multimeter will work.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

thats what I thought...
but in the test it says to check ac voltage.. it sayes that it should be 60v or higher at 4000 rpm. so im thinking that the rectifier is converting it to dc volts right?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ians10 View Post
thats what I thought...
but in the test it says to check ac voltage.. it sayes that it should be 60v or higher at 4000 rpm. so im thinking that the rectifier is converting it to dc volts right?
Yes. Stator/alternator puts out a variable AC voltage. Regulator/rectifier converts it to DC and caps the voltage at about 14.5 in order to run the bike and charge the battery. It's still considered a 12VDC system.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I tested the stator per page 538
The testing is a little confusing seeing that the wiring out of the stator is white, and the wiring going to the voltage regulator is black. But checking AC voltage out of the stator w the connector disconnected with the bike running @ 4000 rpm I have 2v on pin 1-2, 2v on 2-3, and 3v on 3-1. Which according to the book its telling me the stator is bad.
To be completely honest with you I'm not 100% confident with this result. If anyone can shine some light my way telling me if I'm wrong or right I would appreciate it much

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in