intermitent problem - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

intermitent problem

Hi,I have an intermitent problem on my 06 zx10 (10500miles on it) that started 2 weeks ago ,it started last time when I went to my trackday.when I go for a ride my bike seems to die sometime not all the time but yesterday I made a 5 hours ride and it only happened once.I was at about 80-85mph in 6th gear and then wanted to overtake the car in front of me so I accelerate just a little and then the bike started to hesitate gas no gas gas no gas...gas..gas.no gas like if my fuel tank was almost empty but it was full,the engine did not stall it just stopped pulling for 3-4 sec then pull for a sec. then stopped for another 4-5 sec etc...so I was slowing down and down and then power again.the whole thing last approx. 5 to 30 seconds everytime.there are no fuses blown,the bike is full of power,my bike is stock,I have changed the spark plugs and air filter for a K&N,changed the oil and filter.but there is one thing that is bothering me is the relay box above the ECU,I can hear one of the relay buzzing and it's loud enough,there are 4 relays in this box (fuel pump-headlights-fan-starter).so I thought maybe it's the fuel pump relay that's buzzing and when the problem occurs the fuel pump relay stopped working?what do you think guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

do you have the tre? mine was doing something similar... i would gun it in 2nd and it would hesitate for quick moment then take off. And this is with the tre setting at 1 full power basically.

Connectors could be loose or whatever...not sure..
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

sounds like fuel starvation to me

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 AM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
sounds like a bad ground or a recessed pin from the fuel pump. get a multi-meter, im sure youll find it. i had a similar prob and thats what i found. the pump is ground to the seat support brace, and if that screw comes loose youll find that under hard acceleration your weight shifts around that seat mimicking your faults.

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
All of the answers given are valid areas to be concerned with and to certainly check out. But there's another area that's not so obvious.

My '06 was doing almost the same exact thing as you just described. I'd be rolling down the highway at 80mph and the motor would just shut off for no apparent reason. About 5 secs later the engine would come back on, and act like nothing was wrong. A minute later - dead. 20 sec later - fine. I pulled over on the side of the road and started messing with it thinking there was a connection loose or something.

Turns out it was the sidestand safety switch. The housing had rotated forward on the single mounting screw and while it appeared as though everything was fine, the switch was rotated forward just enough that the switch was intermittently making contact and telling the ECU the sidestand was down. A small bump, wheelie, or even a hard acceleration would cause the bike to die. I fixed the problem by rotating the switch housing back into the proper position and safety wiring it to the sidestand spring mount. Problem solved.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in