Impact wrench - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Impact wrench

I still can't get that sprocket nut off the 10 so I'm wondering about getting an impact wrench. Does anyone have any experiences with cordless/mains electric wrenches? Are they up to the job? Or is air always best?

I like the idea of cordless, I can carry it in the car in case I get a puncture, so it won't sit in the toolbox doing nothing, but if I'm forced to get air, then I might as well get a die grinder and a gauge for tire pressures as well. What's the minimum spec I should be looking at, for a compressor or for an electric wrench?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

just googled for air & electric ones & they are pretty easy to compare, both give torque #'s so u can work out what is needed.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, but they are selling them, I'd like to hear what they are like in the real world. Some air guns have three speeds, is this necessary, or is it an advantage to have? Do the electric ones burn out too easily?

Looking on ebay in the Uk I could get a 2 or 3hp compressor and a good, used, air gun for the same price as a used Snap-On cordless, but the compressor would offer me more options in the long run. I could go for a cheap cordless, but there's no point if they aren't up to the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_uk View Post
I still can't get that sprocket nut off the 10 so I'm wondering about getting an impact wrench. Does anyone have any experiences with cordless/mains electric wrenches? Are they up to the job? Or is air always best?

I like the idea of cordless, I can carry it in the car in case I get a puncture, so it won't sit in the toolbox doing nothing, but if I'm forced to get air, then I might as well get a die grinder and a gauge for tire pressures as well. What's the minimum spec I should be looking at, for a compressor or for an electric wrench?

Yep, electric impact 12v. That's what it took for mine to come off. Took about 8 wacks and it started to back off. My air impact wouldn't budge it.

Last edited by Gang Green; 11-18-2007 at 02:46 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
I don't think you'll ever find anything stronger than an air impact, but a cordless will do the job just fine. I was impressed with them once I saw them in action. The one I've seen is a Dewalt. They make good products.

If you are mainly just wanting your sprocket off, we can tell ya the trick to getting it off without buying an impact.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Does it involve taking a 27mm impact socket down to the local garage?
post #7 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_uk View Post
Does it involve taking a 27mm impact socket down to the local garage?

Or a blow-torch? LOL
post #8 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to axo250
Nah.. just the help of a second person preferably or a center stand.

Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and lock your rear wheel down with it. Be sure to keep the board somewhat close to the center of the rim. Also unclip the brake line so you are no sitting the board on top of the brake line. The rear wheel will lock down in between the swingarm and wheel spokes. They can hold it, I promise. Use some towels to keep from scratching things. Of course then put the bike in gear to help hold again. Second person to hold the brake. Be sure the washer on the nut is flattened out, then hit it with a big wrench. If you have a small ratchet, get a pipe to make a longer moment arm. Give it a couple of whacks and you should be free. Use hammer if necessary to hit pipe (this is for the girly men). Just playin, you may need to.
post #9 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by axo250 View Post
Nah.. just the help of a second person preferably or a center stand.

Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and lock your rear wheel down with it. Be sure to keep the board somewhat close to the center of the rim. Also unclip the brake line so you are no sitting the board on top of the brake line. The rear wheel will lock down in between the swingarm and wheel spokes. They can hold it, I promise. Use some towels to keep from scratching things. Of course then put the bike in gear to help hold again. Second person to hold the brake. Be sure the washer on the nut is flattened out, then hit it with a big wrench. If you have a small ratchet, get a pipe to make a longer moment arm. Give it a couple of whacks and you should be free. Use hammer if necessary to hit pipe (this is for the girly men). Just playin, you may need to.
Hahaha! Nope. No way. Tried that. Mine wouldn't budge.
Actually several of us tried that.
My air impact is a cheapy and it wouldn't do it.
My buddy showed me his electric 12v impact. I didn't think it would work once he started, but on the 8th try or so. It started to come lose.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

I used an air impact - the nut came flyin off on the first attempt. Make sure that washer is completely flattened out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in